Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
362 Posts
I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject of the 46RE or bands on the 46RE, but as I understand it the two bands are the rear (1st/reverse) band (the adjustment is accessible by pulling the pan) and the fwd band (which I believe is only second gear) and the adjustment is accessible on the drivers side of the transmission near the cooler lines.

So no; from what little I know about this tranny, I don't think the symptoms sound like an issue with the bands. My forward band was way loose, and it ran good, shifted good, and all my gears (including 2cond) were strong. The slipping out of gear & reving at highway speeds sounds (to me) like clutches slipping, which would basically mean that your transmission is going south on you.

But check the simple things first, meaning the level of your fluid. Remember that this is a Dodge, so check it hot, running, and in neutral (not in park like other ATs). If it is low, it takes ATF+4. You could also pull the pan & change the filter--I am thinking that from what you've described that this would be an exercise in futility, but who knows--I am often wrong and it never hurts to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts