Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L automatic transmission. Several people online have said that I probably need to have the bands adjusted as I’ve had it over 40k miles now and it has 142k miles on it.

My symptoms are as follows:
• Gear slip during acceleration
• Revs during highway driving like it fell out of gear for a second and then comes back, like small surges
• When coming to a stop, it takes a second to reengage gear before take off
• When pulling off from stop position, it hesitates like it’s not in gear and then engages and goes. If I just sit there it will engage so I can pull off normal, otherwise the rpm revs up because it’s not in gear yet.

Does this sound like band adjustments needed or a transmission actually going out?
I’ve been to a few transmissions shops and they look at me crazy when I mention band adjustments. Problem is they want me to drop it off for hours and I don’t have that many hours right now to do so without a vehicle.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it turned out the transmission has gone bad, it is going to cost $3600 to rebuild it and get it running like new again. I’m super excited about that. 😞

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the engine is in great shape, it has 144k miles on it and I’ve personally replaced a lot of things. It doesn’t have any leaks either. We have to bite the bullet and do it, but I look it like it will be a like new driving SUV afterwards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts