Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L automatic transmission. Several people online have said that I probably need to have the bands adjusted as I’ve had it over 40k miles now and it has 142k miles on it.

My symptoms are as follows:
• Gear slip during acceleration
• Revs during highway driving like it fell out of gear for a second and then comes back, like small surges
• When coming to a stop, it takes a second to reengage gear before take off
• When pulling off from stop position, it hesitates like it’s not in gear and then engages and goes. If I just sit there it will engage so I can pull off normal, otherwise the rpm revs up because it’s not in gear yet.

Does this sound like band adjustments needed or a transmission actually going out?
I’ve been to a few transmissions shops and they look at me crazy when I mention band adjustments. Problem is they want me to drop it off for hours and I don’t have that many hours right now to do so without a vehicle.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
302 Posts
I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject of the 46RE or bands on the 46RE, but as I understand it the two bands are the rear (1st/reverse) band (the adjustment is accessible by pulling the pan) and the fwd band (which I believe is only second gear) and the adjustment is accessible on the drivers side of the transmission near the cooler lines.

So no; from what little I know about this tranny, I don't think the symptoms sound like an issue with the bands. My forward band was way loose, and it ran good, shifted good, and all my gears (including 2cond) were strong. The slipping out of gear & reving at highway speeds sounds (to me) like clutches slipping, which would basically mean that your transmission is going south on you.

But check the simple things first, meaning the level of your fluid. Remember that this is a Dodge, so check it hot, running, and in neutral (not in park like other ATs). If it is low, it takes ATF+4. You could also pull the pan & change the filter--I am thinking that from what you've described that this would be an exercise in futility, but who knows--I am often wrong and it never hurts to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts