Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 to 4.7 v8 I was driving it and it was running decent fine... Then all of a sudden just boom started smoking lost power stuttering a lot. after I got it home I didn't know nothing about diagnosing the problem so I just started buying stuff I replaced the water pump already I got coil packs plugs both O2 sensors map sensor and mass air flow sensor but when I started it's still stutters it throws a p0300 code multiple cylinder misfire... When I looked underneath the truck the catalytic converter is glowing bright red I don't think there's a compression on the left side? Any ideas? Powertrain wants 3,300$ for zero mile motor ...trying to avoid that if possible? Any ideas?

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,274 Posts
Why would you replace the water pump? Also the 4.7's don't have mass air flow sensors. If you have 0 compression on 1 whole side of the motor, which would be rare, you broke something and wouldn't be running on 4 cylinders

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you replace the water pump? Also the 4.7's don't have mass air flow sensors. If you have 0 compression on 1 whole side of the motor, which would be rare, you broke something and wouldn't be running on 4 cylinders
Im just saying the waterpump was recently replaced is all pal .look i was asking question...thats all ..im not a mechanic by no means just trying to figure this shit out u feel me? And the map sensor i believe is what replaced...or cleaned trucks been down for almost 1 1/2 years so its been a minute since messed with it so forgive me if i screw few things up here..i was going down a checklist of things i seen online is all .trying to do it myself since aint really got dollars for mechanic u see? Im single young father and money is best spent elsewhere if catch my drift...i was just hoping it was one of "smalller" things i tried as mentioned above and not something crazy expensive or outta my league here...coil packs new..plugs new .cleaned map sensor(or atleast i think it was)...replaced both o2 sensors (since scanner said upstream and downstream codes)...but still rough on start up and gets hot ...scanner says "multiple cylinder missfire" and like i said my catalytic converter is getting glowing bright red hot?? So thats where i am ...can u help me out with any suggestions? And not just pick apart my question? Thatd be sure helpful...if i remember rite did compression test on very front cylinder on drivers side and i think i checked f3 rd one from front on drivers side too both said no compression i think or maybe very low ??? Does that help u any better?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, OP does say, & I quote, "Then all of a sudden just boom started smoking lost power stuttering a lot." Sounds like maybe he did break something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im just saying the waterpump was recently replaced is all pal .look i was asking question...thats all ..im not a mechanic by no means just trying to figure this shit out u feel me?
If you really would like some help I would first suggest cooling your jets and not getting so defensive within your own first post after just joining 2 days ago!!
There are a lot of very intelligent folks here always willing to help.
Just because someone asks a question as a reply to your question doesn't mean somehow there insinuating your an idiot.
Is this area of repairs out of your expertise? Perhaps it is, but that doesn't mean that with a little input from others and some patience on your part that you can't nail down the problem.
You certainly don't want to give the impression that somehow you are entitled and your to good to be humble and hear others out that are taking time out of there day to help YOU.
So take it easy be patient and be open for questions and suggestions and you'll get to where you need to go.
AND just so you understand not every issue is an easy problem solved with just one post, your problem may take some deciphering and back and forth requiring some more info and ( hey give this a try) and that response from your vehicle may expose the issue or issues at hand.
Good Luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
so I just started buying stuff I replaced the water pump already I got coil packs plugs both O2 sensors map sensor and mass air flow sensor
money is best spent elsewhere if catch my drift..
honestly if your not good at this stuff yet. that money would have been better spent paying for the mechanics diagnostics.
Then you could better figure whether it was something you maybe able to repair on your own or go another direction and not throw money at it yet.
just saying there's more than 1 way to skin a cat but an uneducated guess is like skinning it blind and that rarely works to your favor.
I would just take it in and see what they have to say.
They are obligated to tell you what is going on. Your not obligated to have them repair it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Doing a compression test on all cylinders & recording the results would probably be a good place to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like you dropped a valve seat. If you remove the valve covers I think that you will find a valve lash adjuster laying in the head. Most common problem with the 4.7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts