Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L, automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L, V8, automatic that has been diagnosed with a bad TIPM. Issues with the truck include: Last week the engine stalled and couldn't be restarted. The engine turned over but acted like out of gas. Also, the airbags light on the dash would light up for a minute or so and then turn off periodically during the week prior to the engine stalling.

Long story short, truck was towed to nearby garage. The mechanic had trouble finding a used TIPM so he called the local Dodge Parts department and was told the TIPM was discontinued and the truck couldn't be fixed. I went to the dealership and was told the same thing in person. They also said I should stay away from the re-manufactured TIPMs being sold online because those companies were just a big scam and I’d probably just lose my money.

Here's are my questions I need help with:
-- Is the Dodge Service Department correct on anything they said to me regarding the truck not being repairable?
-- Is the truck basically just a heap of metal that can only be sold for parts ? (I can't believe this is the case)
-- If the current broken TIPM in the truck can be replaced with another used TIPM, is it just a matter of finding another TIPM with the same part # as the one in the truck and then having it programmed using the truck VIN#? Or is there more to it ? I can't seem to get an answer that makes sense from anyone on how this works or at least one that I understand.
-- If truck can be repaired with used TIPM, are there any recommendations for online parts dealers?

The mechanic wants the truck towed to the Dodge Dealer thinking they'll fix it but the dealer told me not to do that. How do you find a good mechanic? I've not needed one in a long time because truck has given me very few problems.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
302 Posts
Mark, I have not had any personal experience with the TIPM, but I believe it can be bypassed just to get you running.

Maybe call around to facilities that repair PCMs and see if there is anything they can do with a TIPM?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L, V8, automatic that has been diagnosed with a bad TIPM. Issues with the truck include: Last week the engine stalled and couldn't be restarted. The engine turned over but acted like out of gas. Also, the airbags light on the dash would light up for a minute or so and then turn off periodically during the week prior to the engine stalling.

Long story short, truck was towed to nearby garage. The mechanic had trouble finding a used TIPM so he called the local Dodge Parts department and was told the TIPM was discontinued and the truck couldn't be fixed. I went to the dealership and was told the same thing in person. They also said I should stay away from the re-manufactured TIPMs being sold online because those companies were just a big scam and I’d probably just lose my money.

Here's are my questions I need help with:
-- Is the Dodge Service Department correct on anything they said to me regarding the truck not being repairable?
-- Is the truck basically just a heap of metal that can only be sold for parts ? (I can't believe this is the case)
-- If the current broken TIPM in the truck can be replaced with another used TIPM, is it just a matter of finding another TIPM with the same part # as the one in the truck and then having it programmed using the truck VIN#? Or is there more to it ? I can't seem to get an answer that makes sense from anyone on how this works or at least one that I understand.
-- If truck can be repaired with used TIPM, are there any recommendations for online parts dealers?

The mechanic wants the truck towed to the Dodge Dealer thinking they'll fix it but the dealer told me not to do that. How do you find a good mechanic? I've not needed one in a long time because truck has given me very few problems.
Before You do anything else! Do a Hard Reset on the system! Disconnect both wires from the Battery and clamp them together, then turn on the headlights and turn on the ignition switch & try to start 3-4 times then let it set overnight. this resets everything to as it left the factory. There are a lot of videos on line about how to do it. This Fixed my 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet and it would cut off going down the road and shutdown the whole vehicle so that nothing worked. The only thing that you will lose is a little time and its worth try.

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L, automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely do that before anything else. Thanks for telling me about the reset. I have a used TIPM that is an exact match for the truck ready to install but its not a plug and play installation. There are about 95 wires that need to be spliced into the wiring to get it installed. The mechanic didn't want to do it because of the time it would take so I had the truck towed home and I'll do it myself one wire at a time. Hopefully a hard reset will fix the problem and I won't half to do the install. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts