Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ECM on my 2002 3.9 Dakota tossed a code. It's a P0161, which is the heater circuit on the O2 sensor 2/2 (ie pass side rear). It's obvious to me that I have the four sensor system with three cats, two pre-cats and one main cat. The four sensors are located on the input and output of the pre-cats.

I do not think I have California emissions, since I personally purchased the truck new in Minnesota. But when I try to locate O2 sensors, it seems like my only choice for a four sensor system is "California". All the "Federal" listings appear to be only two sensor systems.

What gives?

thanks in advance,

Larry

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's Cali. Mine has the same setup and its a nj truck. From my understanding a lot of states adopted California's shenanigans, being a Cali based emission truck meets the state's requirement it was initially purchased in. Look under the hood at the vacuum/emission system label. Will say right on there. However you already know your verdict on which set up you have

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the dealer and gave them my VIN, they said that I have a "four-sensor system". No mention of "California" or not in his book.

I then called NAPA, they asked if I had four sensors or two. I said four. They said they had them in stock. I asked for the manufacturer and p/n's. Turns out the NAPA web site lists them under "California". Thus it would appear that the four sensor systems are referred to as "California" in the aftermarket listings.

So it would appear you're correct about so-called "California" vehicles sold in the rest of the country.

Larry

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
There are/were 3 emissions packages available.

NAA - this is the two O2 sensor package.
NAS or NAE - these are the four O2 package. I'm not sure which is the "California" version and yes, something like 11 states require these stricter emissions controls.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are/were 3 emissions packages available.
NAS or NAE - these are the four O2 package. I'm not sure which is the "California" version and yes, something like 11 states require these stricter emissions controls.
Based on my research, I would venture that the O2 sensors on NAS & NAE are the same . . .

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts