Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I was hooking up a new radio in my truck. I had wire the new harnesses together and used wire nuts. When I was done I plugged it in and it worked great. I tryed to push it back in place but the wires where blocking it. So when I pulled it out the red power wire nut came off and it sparked. It blew the fuse so I replaced it. Now neither the old or new radio will turn on when i wire them up. Could I have damaged the wire internally or can the vehicle harness be bad? I have had to replace harnesses on this truck for some of the lights when I upgraded them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been thinking about replacing my radio with an aftermarket unit with an AUX input (I already have one from another vehicle). I haven't done it because I was afraid something like this would happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking about replacing my radio with an aftermarket unit with an AUX input (I already have one from another vehicle). I haven't done it because I was afraid something like this would happen.
So I actually found a blown fuse. It was in a spare location but I think someone before me had rewired up the old aftermarket that I just replaced because they probably had a problem with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A cheap multimeter can save you much time and aggravation. If there is 12v at the end of the wire the radio is toast. If wire is dead then backtrack with meter.

·
17,622 Posts
Wire nuts are not intended for, and shouldn't be used in automotive applications. Especially stereo installs. Please remove them and use proper splices. If you don't know how to solder, then at least use some butt splices that have heat shrink plastic on them to seal the splice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts