Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i went and got my 2002 inspected today and they failed it because of the lower balljoints. my uppers have already been replaced, (there are bolts in place of the rivets) and according to the haynes manual, i have to replace the entire lower control arm?! ive looked on here and dd.com and found that people have just chiseled off the ring on top and hammered them out the bottom of the control arm? ive got a bfh and plenty of time, so i think i'll be alright. if need be, ill just torch them out i guess.

·
Up then Down then Up then
3,188 Posts
Hayne's is stupid. Just chisel or grind off the top lip until its flush with the lower control arm. They are in there good so it will probably have to be pressed out. I took both of my lower control arms off and pressed them out, then pressed new ones in. Best of luck.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are in there good so it will probably have to be pressed out. I took both of my lower control arms off and pressed them out, then pressed new ones in. Best of luck.
i think ill do this in the shop at work, a torch will make anything come out. im not gonna mess around pulling the whole control arm off. as long as they can be hit from the top to be removed, im good. bfh and a torch :)

·
It's good to be the king
450 Posts
2002s have ball joint problems? thought they were over that in like 2000?

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2002s have ball joint problems? thought they were over that in like 2000?
well i wouldnt say its a problem, every balljoint goes at some point in time. ive done them twice on my 98, and now this is the first time on my 02. my 04 i never did but i sold it before it hit 40k miles.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Yup...sure.

You're going to need the press to get the new one in anyway, just rent it. I used one from Advance Auto Parts for my dad's 95 Ram. Worked beautifully.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're going to need the press to get the new one in anyway
ill see what they got. this is the 4th set of balljoints ive done in recent memory and a BFH and a torch hasnt failed me yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts