Dakota Durango Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Oof... that's about 7 times what I paid for mine 😂 You are definitely not making me very sure I want a lift anymore

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I picked up several different grits of sandpaper today and tried my hand at cleaning up my fogs. I got the numbers wrong and got grits in the 400-800 range plus one pack of 2000 (which turned out to be a lifesaver), but even with that it made a huge difference and I can redo it when I get some 1000, 1500, and 3000 grits. Basically what it did is take all the gunk and whatever stuff was on it off, but because of the grits being too low (I used the 600, 800, and 2000, whereas 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 would've been ideal) it replaced it with a smattering of light scratches. I'm happy with that trade-off though, and like I said, I can clean it up later with some finer grits. I ordered some LEDs for the fog lamps so I can't have them looking messy 🤪

Here they are old and new side by side:

And with both finished:

Here's the youtube vid I used, super helpful!

Things are moving very slowly right now as far as taking the motor apart, and there's nothing notable to mention about that.

I'm really disappointed that the cheapest clear corners are $40+, I was hoping to get something for $20-$30 but it looks like I'll be keeping the stocks. I ordered some tint film to try and tint just the amber part, but when it came it was way darker then the ad so I got my money back. I might try again at some point, but I'm not even sure I'll like the look so for now I'll clean them up a bit once I get some finer sandpaper and call it good.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Oh and I sent the lift back yesterday, now I'm debating about which kit to buy next... a 2" front and back for $70 of a 2" level in the front for about $45ish. I'm leaning towards the 2" all around but I'm not sure yet.

Aaaaaand I'm trying to work something out with my intake.... Apparently my understanding of what a CAI is was partially wrong, the intake I got off my buddy's 1500 was one that needs a box around it (sorry I don't know the correct terms lol), and of course the one off the 1500 won't fit my dak. I found a cheap basic red filter for free though, the filter itself won't do much in terms of power, but somebody on some forum suggested deleting the airbox that is connected straight to the throttle body so if I do that I'll be gaining a little bit of hp in the deal, and it'll look better then the stock intake anyway 🤪

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Just took off the auxiliary e-fan and shroud to free up space, and look what I found hiding under there - a 10 mm wrench! So that’s where they’re all going! 😂

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hurry up and finish already I wanna see the end result! Hahahahaha
If you say so lol! After cranking it half an inch too far, I cranked it around a second time and just got it lined up. Next step is getting the timing cover off and then the timing chains, which come to think of it I still have to order new ones. I had one of my more brilliant ideas and made my own ratcheting breaker bar; a steel tube around a ratchet. Worked great, all I had to do was sit there and pump away without actually working! 😛

Aaaaah... After putting it off for so long, this is such a wonderful sight to see! 😂

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
A little progress 🤔Nothing particularly productive actually but I cleared up some space, took off the upper rad support, rad, and bumper. Now I can easily fit a pneumatic impact in there to get the harmonic balancer and whatnot off. It's suddenly very warm here (almost 60' today!) so I'm starting to do all the little stuff; sanding and painting rusty brackets, caps in the engine bay, etc.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
also how far are you on the rebuild
As I said above, all the accessories are off and the front end is off, recently I got the timing cover off and started taking apart the timing.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts