Dakota Durango Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Looking good! I was gonna do the same but I was worried that over time the mesh would get weak/stretched out and look bad in the middle. I may go with stainless steel and do the same thing once my bro in law gets some more different stock in. I just used gorilla glue and it was hard in 2 hrs. 1/2 tube needed.
Thanks! Unless you use a really thin wire mesh that shouldn't be a problem, this was just cheap aluminum stuff.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Quick update, the glue came today so that's done just waiting for it to dry. I'm also thinking about take the little blue accent lights and using them for grille lighting, if I put them behind the plastic edge it might look really good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the idea!!! I just ordered some ABS hex mesh to do my own grille. I currently have the chrome slats and I’m not really a fan.

Here is the before pic.

I’ll post more pics when I’m done. Seems to be coming on the slow boat from China.

Found the material on Amazon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Can’t wait to see yours! Originally I was going to use some kind of a honeycomb plastic, but although the pattern isn’t as good as I expected I’m glad I got aluminum. It flexes easier which is better for matching the curve of the grille, but if your just replacing the inserts that shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We all want the very best for our trucks! Not sure where u live but keep an eye on the local classifieds and salvage yards. Lotsa dumb ppl out there who scrap things for free or little cash! I got my bull bar for 50$!!! Sanded all the rust and pulled the dents out and some paint and it’s as good as new! At the end of the day it’s just a truck and as long as it does what it’s supposed to do it’s a good day!
Very true but on the other hand tho you got those junkyard millionaires thinking they got gold and try to charge you 250 big ones for a quarter window assembly on a soft top Chrysler

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So here in MI we had a random 45 degree day, so I figured that was warm enough for spray painting and got the grille finished. Of course when I when inside for a sec it started sprinkling, so there's a bunch of wired bubble on it, but it looks better then the ugly sanded chrome and black haha! I'll sand it down and repaint it in the spring. I put it on the truck, somethings a little goofy about the way it's bolting up (there's an 1/8 inch gap at the top which I don't think should be there but I'm gonna put that off till I take it off to paint it in the spring), and besides my bad choice of mesh, I'm pretty happy with it overall! I'm going to avoid cutting a hole for the latch in the mesh by rigging up some kind of wire system, but until I do that I just used what I had sitting around to rig it up with some fishing line.

I got the fuel rails pulled a couple days ago, and got almost all the accessories off, I'm just a little confused about the power steering pump. The youtube video series I'm using isn't clear on it.

I also took the parking light lenses off thinking I was gonna tint them, turns out I don't have enough tint film left though. I'm thinking about buying more that isn't so dark and tinting the whole headlight assembly, and also maybe taking apart the headlight housing to try and defog the lenses from the inside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks great man, good job! I’m doing some similar upgrades to my 08 front end. Just finished working on the headlights today and I did some spray painting myself...

I usually have the same luck when I spray paint. Always seems to be something, either dust, bugs or rain sprinkles. But I lucked out today, I painted my headlight bezels matte black and for once, my spray paint job turned out pretty damn good; looks like it came from factory like this.

Speaking of tint film... I just tried it for the first time today and I love it. Literally Just finished applying it. Application was easy, I aced the first one but I’ll have to redo the second one. Luckily, the roll of film I bought came with enough to do it over again if i want. Overall i am happy with the tint film.

Here’s the link to the tint film I used...

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Oh wow, that looks awesome! You make me wish I had one of those 4th gens 😜 I'm cheaping out on tint film haha, I'll probably just get the low quality stuff off ebay. Probably won't do it until after it actually runs though. Is that a bubble on the outside edge of the headlight or something in the shaping of the lens?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh wow, that looks awesome! You make me wish I had one of those 4th gens I'm cheaping out on tint film haha, I'll probably just get the low quality stuff off ebay. Probably won't do it until after it actually runs though. Is that a bubble on the outside edge of the headlight or something in the shaping of the lens?
Thanks... but I actually like your model year more...In fact when I bought this truck new I wasn’t even looking for a brand new Dakota. At the time, I was actually in the market for a 99-04 with manual but couldn’t find a good deal on one. Then I saw this truck online, and I knew right away I wanted one:

That truck made me realize it actually had potential to look pretty awesome with a few tweaks.

And about the tint... Good eye. That is a lump in the plastic and Yeah There are bubbles and i am redoing it. It’s hard to work the film around that bump. So annoying. Next time I Need to have a buddy handy, get him to aim the hair dryer or heat gun while I apply the tint. I tried to do both and ended up messing up the second light.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport 4.7L V8
212 Posts
Good job guys keep it up and one day u have the truck of your dreams! Waiting on my dual exhaust kit to show up and mi e will be done! Got a set of ngk blue spark plug wires and distributor cap to match the blue theme I have going on. I’ll post a video when it’s all said and done!

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks... but I actually like your model year more...In fact when I bought this truck new I wasn’t even looking for a brand new Dakota. At the time, I was actually in the market for a 99-04 with manual but couldn’t find a good deal on one. Then I saw this truck online, and I knew right away I wanted one:

That truck made me realize it actually had potential to look pretty awesome with a few tweaks.

And about the tint... Good eye. That is a lump in the plastic and Yeah There are bubbles and i am redoing it. It’s hard to work the film around that bump. So annoying. Next time I Need to have a buddy handy, get him to aim the hair dryer or heat gun while I apply the tint. I tried to do both and ended up messing up the second light.

Funny, I like the 2nd gens better too, but it was your truck that made me see how good the 4th gens can look! When I was first looking for a truck I wanted a full size 2nd gen RAM, but when I saw the truck I have now it was waaaaaay too good a deal to pass up, and now I love the Dakotas!

Yeah, having somebody handy to work whatever heat source you have is definitely a must! The edges of my taillight are not perfect for sure, but considering what I paid for the tint film I'm happy! I probably would have redone them if I had enough left though. Hopefully when I do the headlights I'll do a bit better!

Good job guys keep it up and one day u have the truck of your dreams! Waiting on my dual exhaust kit to show up and mi e will be done! Got a set of ngk blue spark plug wires and distributor cap to match the blue theme I have going on. I’ll post a video when it’s all said and done!
Heh, even though I love the Dakotas now, my dream truck is still like a 2017 2500 Cummins in lime green with a 6 inch lift so I don't think that's happening 😂😂😂 Hahahaha thank you! I'm getting closer to my goals for this truck! Good luck with finishing yours!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wish the new Dakota would have the front end of a 2021 power wagon, miniaturized. I would die.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I wish the new Dakota would have the front end of a 2021 power wagon, miniaturized. I would die.

According to spy pics it will: New Dakota coming? | Dakota Forumz I wish it would have the Durango front end, just with a minor make over to give it more of an aggressive truck stance. The 5th gen RAMs haven't gown on me yet but I'm sure they will lol

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Got inspired reading other build threads so I tackled another piece of tearing the motor down! Got the intake plenum, AC compressor, and various hoses and wires off. And I made a before and after pic from when I started to now, mainly to make me feel like I'm getting somewhere 😛

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to spy pics it will: New Dakota coming? | Dakota Forumz I wish it would have the Durango front end, just with a minor make over to give it more of an aggressive truck stance. The 5th gen RAMs haven't gown on me yet but I'm sure they will lol
Hate to break the news but those rumours are BS... for years I have eagerly combed through practically every corner of these interwebz just hoping... searching... looking for even a single hint of actual solid news about the upcoming Ram midsize/compact truck, and all I found was total BS and pure unsubstantiated rumour.

I can assure you... ther are absolutely no photos of it in public existence and nothing solid is known whatsoever.

EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE AND POST that I found in my searches all show the same spy shots of the Ram 1500, NOT the Ram Dakota.

IT’S ALL JUST CLICKBAIT.

Yeah that’s in caps because I’m pretty frustrated actually...

Out of maybe 100 YouTube videos, 300 forum posts and 20 automotive websites that talk about the “upcoming Ram Dakota midsize”... all show the same horrible AND nightmarish computer renders, and plastered everywhere are pictures of the Cringe-worthy Fiat compact pickup from Europe rebranded as a Ram compact truck. The renders and the rebadged fiats.... They just make me want to vomit my guts out. Basically just minivans with a truck bed.

FCA... PLEASE NO.

JUST make a baby Power Wagon and be done with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hate to break the news but those rumours are BS... for years I have eagerly combed through practically every corner of these interwebz just hoping... searching... looking for even a single hint of actual solid news about the upcoming Ram midsize/compact truck, and all I found was total BS and pure unsubstantiated rumour.

I can assure you... ther are absolutely no photos of it in public existence and nothing solid is known whatsoever.

EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE AND POST that I found in my searches all show the same spy shots of the Ram 1500, NOT the Ram Dakota.

IT’S ALL JUST CLICKBAIT.

Yeah that’s in caps because I’m pretty frustrated actually...

Out of maybe 100 YouTube videos, 300 forum posts and 20 automotive websites that talk about the “upcoming Ram Dakota midsize”... all show the same horrible AND nightmarish computer renders, and plastered everywhere are pictures of the Cringe-worthy Fiat compact pickup from Europe rebranded as a Ram compact truck. The renders and the rebadged fiats.... They just make me want to vomit my guts out. Basically just minivans with a truck bed.

FCA... PLEASE NO.

JUST make a baby Power Wagon and be done with it!

Rats.... I was hoping for a minute there 😂 Was it real or fake news that RAM is making a light pickup called the 700 exclusively for south America or something? I saw one thing about that a while ago but nothing else since. I hope it's not real because that thing was hideous 🤮

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rats.... I was hoping for a minute there Was it real or fake news that RAM is making a light pickup called the 700 exclusively for south America or something? I saw one thing about that a while ago but nothing else since. I hope it's not real because that thing was hideous
That’s true. And it is hideous. It’s a rebadged fiat too.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
That’s true. And it is hideous. It’s a rebadged fiat too.

I know, I was trying to find a pic of the 700 now and it's literally identical, I didn't realize that before 😂

Oh I just bit the bullet btw.... ordered a 3" front 2" rear lift kit for the dak 😬

61 - 80 of 106 Posts