Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newb here. But had my 2002 Durango SLT 4x4 since 2005... and always loved and cared for her. ;-)
Hope you don't mind me diving right in, as I couldn't see a post with my specific problem, but admit there were a LOT of P0135 posts to dig through... aologies if I missed one.

What lead me here - was an 11 year old post about o2 sensors, and JTEG or NGC - I was in the same boat - had to get b1s1 o2 sensor, and got asked "current or next gen", so thanks very much to @caulk04 for his very quick and clear way to know - I have 4 plugs on the passenger fender, so NGC apparently (next gen).

Challenge now, is that while I have resolved the dead o2 using an NGK (NTK) 23527, (and I did the rear one with the spec'd NTK, as it was now so clogged from running rich) - I now am getting a P0135 on the new Front/Upstream o2. B1S1

I checked the resistance, and got 6.1 ohms. Factory manual says it should be 13.7 on a 4.7L - and the new downstream was almost bang on that value - so I removed it again, and took it back, swapped for a new one. New one is 6.1 ohms too... so maybe that's a "typo" in the manual that doesn't take the NGC into account - given that they get a different o2 sensor.

Anyhow -
Measuring the voltage at the b1s1 plug under the truck, when key is turned two steps forward, shows a very brief 12v, and then as you hear clicks from overhead, it goes away again. (normal maybe? just an initializing of the system?)
Or, do I have a problem with that circuit somewhere? Failing relay?

The factory manual doesn't of course show me much on the NGC that I can find - all it says is that there should be fuses and relays for o2 sensors, that aren't there.
Obviously, JTEG version only devices.
The diagrams show a simple and direct connection from the PCM to both sensors.... so are the relays inside the PCM then...?

Reset codes, new o2's in, and after 8 mins of idle, the P0135 is pending again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm wondering if the new o2 sensor your using now is heated or not? I'm not positive if should be.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point, I’m open to options... but it is the specified b1s1 for NGC.
Checked with supplier and NgK website...

·
Registered
18 Posts
They say that is a downstream sensor and it sounds like you put it upstream. Downstream reeds o2 after the converter upstream just Checking for tempiture before converter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No no, b1s1 is bank 1, sensor 1, ahead of the cat.
Upstream.
That’s the one I put in.
Also replaced the downstream, and it’s working fine. (Different part number)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked up the part number you posted they claimed it's a downstream sensor. The universal o2 sensors kinda suck in dodge and you gotta know exactly what the stock sensor is because the universal sensor is two words combined that cant make sense. Bosh works fine and has a 2year warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, maybe I have to call ngk.
When I look at their website, this is what I get:

Next gen comp
Federal emissions
Direct replacement
Upstream

so... thanks... but I can’t see anywhere where that part is saying it’s a downstream? :-(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked up the part number you posted they claimed it's a downstream sensor. The universal o2 sensors kinda suck in dodge and you gotta know exactly what the stock sensor is because the universal sensor is two words combined that cant make sense. Bosh works fine and has a 2year warranty.

I dunno dandress. He could be lying and making the whole thing up for yer enjoyment!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dunno dansdress. He could be making the whole thing up for yer enjoyment!
Ummmmm.... no.... simply not sure of their source, and it's accuracy, and didn't want to be anything other than polite, in appreciation of their willingness to reply.

I have now spoken to two Chrysler dealers, and confirmed that for my VIN#, NGC, etc - upstream calls for 56028584AA part.
Which directly crosses to the NGK part I bought. (twice)
Talked to NGK, who has had that part on the books as a cross, for eons, so not likely an error.

Yes, that NGK part is used on multiple vehicles, so it very well COULD be a downstream o2 on something else, but not in this case.

Yes, I could blow another $50-$75 on a bosch or other sensor, and replace it yet again, but after changing it twice, I now must suspect the power supply coming to it, and no one has yet to reply on that count.
That is, with an NGC (next gen computer, 4 plugs) and the key turned to on but not running, is the 12v supply constant, or brief? On the JTEG computer, manual says constant, but it's writing appears to pre-date the NGC, as it's also wrong about the o2 sensor ohm reading.

So, I need to pull the plugs off at the NGC on the fender, and see if I can find the diagram that tells me which pins are the o2 power feed. (as the NGC has no external relays)
And that needs a bit more free time to chase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dunno dansdress. He could be making the whole thing up for yer enjoyment!
Lol no I went back and found they say typically used for downstream Amazon site. Summit said it is upstream. I AM WRONG
Either way there is misleading info on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never did solve this... other than what was posted here.
Crank developed a heavy knock last week, car is permanently retired... :-(

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
431 Posts
:cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts