Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Dont forget that the 2008 heads use an EGR... so if you have a NON-EGR 4.7L you will need to plug the EGR hole on the drivers back side head. I believe you can do it with a threaded plug. Other than that the Crank tone ring and Cam tone rings must come from the doner vehicle. as they are matched to the PCM

SPEED SAFE, NICK

· Premium Member
2,111 Posts
I wish it where that easy... But unfortunately Its easier to swap out the tone rings. The harness is connected to EVERYTHING under the hood and dash... so you would need to re-wire the entire vehicle... Even the Speedo cluster is tied into it from what I understand.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

· Registered
16 Posts
AIRRAM: So, am I better off swapping in a 5.7? Or, what about rebuilding my existing engine? I want to realize a significant increase in hp and torque. I don't need anything wild which is why I was considering a post 08 4.7. Can I get in the neighborhood of 300 hp out of my engine without spending a fortune? What should I expect from your economy heads and post 08 manifold? I see the HO cams aren't presently available, would stock post 08 cams help, will they even work? Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
71 Posts
AIRRAM: So, am I better off swapping in a 5.7? Or, what about rebuilding my existing engine? I want to realize a significant increase in hp and torque. I don't need anything wild which is why I was considering a post 08 4.7. Can I get in the neighborhood of 300 hp out of my engine without spending a fortune? What should I expect from your economy heads and post 08 manifold? I see the HO cams aren't presently available, would stock post 08 cams help, will they even work? Thanks in advance for your help.
if your considering rebuilding your existing motor vs swaping something else in look at the costs of what you need to swap something else in(including buying the motor) and then look at the costs of the rebuild parts for the 4.7

4.7 is pricey to rebuild if you dont aquire a super complete brand name master rebuild kit for cheap. the rod bolts and head bolts are throw away items, once there torqued you throw them out out when remove them and there a bit pricey. if you dont get a master rebuild kit and peice togehter that you need you could upwards of $700 on just the timing chain set if you buy a well known brand name.

just saying make sure you do some serios research if you are considering rebuilding your existing eng.

· Registered
16 Posts
That is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. It's been a long time since I did any serious engine work. The last thing I really did much with had a carb. A Mallory Unilite distributor was fairly high tech then. Thanks for the reply.

· Registered
16 Posts
I wish it where that easy... But unfortunately Its easier to swap out the tone rings. The harness is connected to EVERYTHING under the hood and dash... so you would need to re-wire the entire vehicle... Even the Speedo cluster is tied into it from what I understand.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
So, am I better off swapping in a 5.7? Or, what about rebuilding my existing engine? I want to realize a significant increase in hp and torque. I don't need anything wild which is why I was considering a post 08 4.7. Can I get in the neighborhood of 300 hp out of my engine without spending a fortune? What should I expect from your economy heads and post 08 manifold? I see the HO cams aren't presently available, would stock post 08 cams help, will they even work? Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,
I have and 07 dakota with the 4.7 and the 08 intake manifold with the adapter plate for the cable controlled throttle. Would mine be a drop in if I swap it wit the 08 engine?
Will I have to mess with the tone rings?
Thanks.

· Registered
1 Posts
I think you have over analyzed it. He can run the 2008 4.7L with his current PCM... Most all the sensors are the same so it would almost be a plug and play. There is no need to use the 08 harness or PCM's... So it would be rather easy... the only thing that would toss him in for a loop would be mounting his 1999-2007 3-bolt throttle body to the 2008 intake manifold which has a 4-bolt throttle body.... And we have that covered. Our throttle body adapter plates make that an easy bolt on swap. Since the Throttle body hoses the TPS and IAC, the intake manifold hoses the MAP and the intake has the IAT sensor... the CAM and Crank sensors would be the same... If he had to so any modifying to the harness it would be very minor if any at all. SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Would this all still apply with a 2000 4.7? Considering the swap as the original is exhausted at 280k miles and the trans started to slip as well 🤙 but if an 08 into a 2000 won't be any more work than that I'm up for doing it

· Registered
2004 dakota 4.7l cold air, cat back, 545rfe trans detroit locker on a 9.25 265/70r17
112 Posts
Would this all still apply with a 2000 4.7? Considering the swap as the original is exhausted at 280k miles and the trans started to slip as well 🤙 but if an 08 into a 2000 won't be any more work than that I'm up for doing it
From 2000 to 2008 the crank and cam pickups are different so you'll need to swap those out but everything else is pretty much the same.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts