Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Durango R/T 4x4. never once have i used the 4wd and probably never will. I am about to buy some 22's and want to lower it 3-4" in the front and 2-3" in the rear. Can anyone recommend any products? I have not had any luck. Also, when i get my new wheels i plan on selling the stock 17" r/t wheels with tires (about 40% tread) for pretty cheap. The wheels are good condition.....price will follow for the wheels.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind.....i did a search and found from a past thread there is no good way to lower it.

·
Benz Tech
889 Posts

·
Chillin The Most
29,241 Posts
I may be wrong but just crank the tbars opposite of lifting, thats what alot of guys use to lift there 4x4 dakotas (its cheap). I assume your durangos front end is the same as a 4x4 dak. For the rear I think you can use blocks to lower if your leaf under axel :huh: But i think the most you can get out of the tbars is 2 inches...I'm not 100% sure

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can lower it but not 3-4" 2-3 is about max. You did not search because there are plenty posts. Blocks in the rear and loosen the torsion bars in front. Tose keyse will do nothing for you.

BTW, you R/T is AWD (always in 4x4)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
help

azdurango......did you just loosen the torion key and use blocks? I really like the stance of your D. How is the ride? What kind of shocks did you use........what size blocks in the back?

Thanks

·
Benz Tech
889 Posts
azdurango......did you just loosen the torion key and use blocks? I really like the stance of your D. How is the ride? What kind of shocks did you use........what size blocks in the back?

Thanks
Yes, I loosened the t-bar adjuster in the front and used some toxic shocks part number 411015. Also to bring it down that low I had to completely cut out the bump stop metal cup which leaves me with about 1 inch of travel. I am in the process of removing the stock bump stop mount and fabing up a new mount a couple of inches higher so I have more travel. The ride really isn't as bad as you would imagine, of course speed bumps need to be taken pretty slow and big enough pot holes will bottom out since there is only 1 inch of travel, but the toxics are pretty stiff plus I have poly bushings in the control arms.

In the rear I have 2002 Dodge Ram lowered shackles, which are about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the stock shackles and some 3 inch tapered blocks from fabtech. You will also want to remove the bump stop in the rear and get some air assist or your tires will rub the flares when you it a bump with passengers in the rear seats.
Here is a picture of where I cut the bump stop cup out of the front and you can see that there is about 1 inch of suspension travel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VERY COOL!!!! Thanks for the quicl response!!!!! I will show this to the mechanic that will be wokring on mine.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

·
Benz Tech
889 Posts
No problem man. Good luck and post some pics when your done.

·
Benz Tech
889 Posts
Your is 4wd? Correct? I am looking for the shocks now and only 4wd for 1998 model
Yes, mine is 4wd. The ones I used are listed for a dakota r/t with a 3 inch drop. First I ordered the ones listed for a Durango 4x4 with a 3 inch drop, but they were still a little too long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume (to be exact) they were for a 2001 Dakota R/T 4WD? Sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure i get it right the first time.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One more question...........to adjust the torsion key, I assume the D has to be put on jack stands so there is no pressure on the axle? And then just loosen the key bolts? Measure before and after to make sure everything is level? Just to be sure, the keys are under the driver and passenger seat, correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can loosen them on the ground. The bolts are just past the front doors. Just follow the torsion bars back. With the bumpstop, it is only gong to go about 1". You have to cut the rubber down some or if you are going further, as indicated above, you need to deal with the cup.

Before you oreder bles, you need to verify what size axle you have. There are two. On your Durango R/T you probably have the smaller axle. Look at the differential cover. 8 bolt oval is the smaller axle. 12 bolt octagon is the larger 9.25

If you have the smaler, your axle tube is 3" and most block kits will fit.

If you have the larger, the tube is 3 5/8. You need a block kit for the Dakota R/T which is stock with the larger axle.

I used DJM Ram shackles. I forgot where I got them from. They are are cheaper through a retailer that direct from DJM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is larger axle so i will get them for the Dakota R/T. If i take care of the bumpstop how low can i go and be safe? I know this probably has beat to death but thought i would ask again just to be sure.........i am for 3" front and 3 " rear. Is this doable while still be safe and a "decent" ride?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
That is the upper stop for when the wheels travel down. It's the yellowish one below facing down.

Mine is lowered 1 1/2 - 2". I did 1" about 8-9 years ago and was conservatitive as there was really no one else had lower one. A few years ago I did about another 1" with the shackles and a little more on the torsion bars. Any lower on the front, and I have run into uncontrollable oscillations with the passenger side suspension when it hit a bump. The suspension just hit a harmonic and would not stop.

There have been some people who have had issues lowering 3" including vibrations and complaining of bad handling.

Remember your torsion bar is you spring. Loosening the torque, reduces the spring. The front end may bounce and slam. Taller blocks in the rear will put additional torque on the leaf springs and can deform them over time.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
3 inch drop....3 inch block and torsion bar.

the new truck im going like 4-5 inches.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts