Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Durango. Sometimes when I start it up and put it in drive it makes a roaring sound and seems to not have full power. This goes away after about 20-30 seconds as I move forward.

Any ideas on what would make this happen? It is intermittent and only happens when the engine is started from a cold start, then put into gear.

Thanks for your help!

[email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like your transmission is slipping. First thing i'd do is check the fluid- make sure it's full and a nice translucent red. If it's low, top it off, and find out where you're losing the fluid. If it's dirty, change it. If it smells burnt, you're in for expensive problems.

...dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had this in my 02 QC since day one, also had it in a Ford explorer and a Chevy Astro.

I have always let myself believe it was simply the clutch fan, at start up, it seems to run way faster for a few seconds, then goes away as you drive off.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
afsigma21 said:
I have always let myself believe it was simply the clutch fan, at start up, it seems to run way faster for a few seconds, then goes away as you drive off.
Yup, that would be because the fluid in the clutch has settled to the bottom, and after spinning around a few good times it goes away. My solution was no clutch fan = no problem. :biggthump

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have noticed this too. Only after the D has sat around for a week or so though. So I am not worried about it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
After my Dak overheated in stop and go traffic while towing, I decided that the clutch fan has to go, BUT, I have to figure out what to do about an electric model that can do the job!

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Yes, this is the clutch fan...... its so damn noisy cuz its fully engauged and your hitting the gas making it spin harder. IDK. if your 2001 has a plastic or metal fan on it but after i changed over to a plastic clutch fan the noise got alot more quiet.......so if you dont want or cant afford(me) E fans just find a plastic clutch fan.......mines from a Chevy silverado SS that was laying around (i work for a chevy dealer) and it spun right on......so if any of you want to do the same im sure that a plastic clutch fan fron any l-q9 engine will work for you....

K

·
0 Posts
same prob

I have a 99 that had about 93K when I started noticing this, it has the exact same sound and feel of a slipping tranny. I took it in, they said they changed some sort of sensor, it still does it, and now that I use my Durango for work and drive it every say it has 104k and its getting worse, but mine doesnt only happen when I first start it. I also notice it after Ive been driving a few hours and then get back in it after its idled awhile, then I get the loud "roaring" noise and the slip feel. But it seems to go away a few seconds in. My question is, is thius something that the dealer will replace under warranty. I have an official Dodge/mopar warrranty for a few more months left on it. And if not is it an easy fix to put the plastic one in that was mentioned in the previous posts? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
mleader said:
I have a 2001 Durango. Sometimes when I start it up and put it in drive it makes a roaring sound and seems to not have full power. This goes away after about 20-30 seconds as I move forward.

Any ideas on what would make this happen? It is intermittent and only happens when the engine is started from a cold start, then put into gear.
This happened to me once on a really hot day. It was right after I stopped to fill up with gas.

No it wasn't the sound my wallet makes at the cashier. :jester:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts