Dakota Durango Forum banner

2001 Dakota rt shifting issue

929 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Killer_19 
#1 ·
I bought a 01 rt a few months back and decided to replace the head gasket last weekend so I could see how the inside of the engine looked. The engine looked good so I finished everything up. I went for a drive and I immediately noticed something was up with my trans. It shifts a lot higher than it used to and it dosent shift the best when it does. The only way to get it to shift properly is to let off the gas and then get back on it. It threw a tps code at first but after clearing the codes it went away but it still shifts weird. The transmission has good fluid, the only cel’s I have are evap leak and o2 sensor, and my engine runs fine other than an exhaust leak. I’m guessing it is something electronic because if I manually shift the shift feels better and the trans only has 30k miles on it. Any idea what the issue could be?

#4 ·
If adjusted too loose the tranny will upshift too early (soft) and if adjusted too tight the upshifts will be late (hard) and downshifts during part-throttle operation will occur too soon.

Paraphrasing from the FSM, to check: turn key to off/remove aircleaner/verify that lever on TB is at curb idle then verify that transmission throttle lever is also at idle (full fwd) position /slide cable off attachment stud on TB lever/cable end & attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) within 1 mm (0.039 inch) in either direction.

#5 ·
I didn’t have time to fully adjust it but I got it to shift a little bit earlier but still a little rough. I’m going to try and dial it in after school today. I did realize that the gasket for the tps is bad could that cause any issues?

#6 ·
I had an idea for a "sport shift" solenoid on the older Daks. Basically a short throw solenoid with groove in the tip for the TV cable. When not energized the tip of the solenoid barely touches the cable. Energize the solenoid to "sport" position and the tip extends to "shorten" the adjustment and the shifts come later and bit sharper. Never did try it though.

#7 ·
Messing with the TV could cause you to smoke the trans, The TV controls the oil pressure the operates the clutches and bands, low oil pressure (early shifts) can result in burnt clutches or bands. High oil pressure really won't damage the trans but is very annoying because of the late shifts.

#10 ·
My RT did this and i never figured out the issue. From a stop light light WOT it would shift fine. But if i was to be going 35 and the speed limit changed to 60, when i WOT there it downshifted and would rev to 3500 and bounce off 3500 like a rev limiter amd not shift till i let off amd mashed pedal down again. Very annoying. Dont have the truck any more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.