Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find the flasher turn signal relay. YouTube not much help.

When I start it, I get a ABS and emergency brake light and the AC, odometer and speedometer don't work. After driving for some time the lights go off and AC, odometer and speedometer start working. Turn it off and all problems come back. And air bag light stays on.
Some say it is a ground issue but were do I start.
Help please!!

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
375 Posts
Looking at a schematic in a Haynes for 2001 & later Dak, I do not see a relay for turn signals/flashers.
Looks like a multi function switch with two wires to a single ground and three wires out to a combination flasher and then through a couple of junction blocks and then to the lamps with a 10A fuse, which it says is located in a "junction block", but I would think would be in the underhood power distribution center.

As far as the ABS light and the red brake light (is it a flashing red brake light or steady red brake light? I believe the e-brake is the flashing red light), I have had that on mine, a long with the speedo occasionally doing goofy things, and when I got into it, it turned out I had damaged the wires attached to the speed sensor mounted on the rear differential. If you don't mind throwing parts at a problem, that's an easy one to change, and, as I remember, the Dorman replacement didn't cost a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brake light is constant.
I took the main fuse block apart under the hood and check for damaged wires and found none. I also sprayed all electrical connections with electra clean.
Any guess where the multi function switch is located?
I have already replaced the speed sensor.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
375 Posts
Later on tonight I can look into my '03 FSM (I think on this it should be similar) but I was assuming that the multi function switch would be in the steering column. I could be wrong.

I was sort of following another thread on another Dak forum related to ABS & brake light on instrument panel & I did some reading in my FSM & learned that the red light (not the flashing park brake light) is set off when the CAB (controller antilock brakes) detects a fault, and when that happens the FSM says to get the system scanned by a DRBIII scanner.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
375 Posts
. . . if you are interested in more detail on this, let me know, but for the time being I am going to be brief as I am basically going blind in one eye & reading from the FSM & typing it to a screen is getting to be a chore. But, to access the multifunction switch, the FSM is warning one to observe all precautions to advoid setting off the airbags, and then to remove the steering column opening cover. It says the tilt wheel knob needs to come off and then to remove the upper & lower shrouds. At that point you should have access to the switch which is held on by (it says) two screws, (but the picture looks like it is showing three screws and possibly a hole for a fourth . . . should be easy to figure that out, though) and there is a wiring harness with a connector coming out of the switch.

But what are your turn signals doing or not doing? I don't use my FSMs a whole lot, so every time I get in to them I learn new stuff. There is a section in one of the books about troubleshooting them.

Also, from what I can ascertain from the FSM, the turn signals/e-flashers are NOT controlled by the CTM (central timer module).

Keep in mind that I am looking at a FSM for the '03 Dak, but I THINK that it is applicable back to '01.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
375 Posts
. . . on the flashing red light vs the steady red, apparently I was mistaken. The FSM attributes a flashing red as being due to "a vehicle tooth or tire parameter is faulty or missing" vs a steady red being due to "when a system malfunction exists." Also, a steady red for 3.4 seconds during an initial test at the beginning of the ignition cycle.

I don't know if any of this will be helpful, but I also learned that:
the CAB can signal the operation of both the ABS light and the red brake light via the PCI bus. (I think I remember seeing your airbag light being on the PCI bus relatively close to the ABS light when I was looking at one of the schematics in the Haynes.)

"The Instrument Cluster controls the [ABS light]. All Dodge Truck Instrument Clusters have direct control over the [ABS light and red brake warning light]"

The Instrument Cluster.controls the red Brake warning light. There is a parallel path to chassis ground that will illuminate the red Brake warning light:
through parking brake switch contacts
through brake fluid level switch
through the CAB via PCI Bus.

The red Brake warning light is to alert the driver of:
brake fluid low
parking brake applied
ABS system malfunction.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
375 Posts
When I start it, I get a ABS and emergency brake light and the AC, odometer and speedometer don't work. After driving for some time the lights go off and AC, odometer and speedometer start working.
I was doing some further reading tonight, and I came upon the PCI Bus diagram in one of the books, and I believe that your gremlin (excluding what is going on with your turn signal/flashers) must be related to connection points in your PCI Bus.

Among the modules that make up & communicate with each other on the PCI Bus, there are:
Controller Antilock Brake (CAB) (connector at the module is labeled as C1-3)
Airbag Controller Module (ORC) (connector is labeled as 21)
Mechanical Instrument Cluster (MIC) ( connector is labeled as C1-9)
and
A/C Heater Control (HVAC) ( connector is labeled as C1-16).

Which would account for everything but your turn signals & flashers.

CAB & HVAC appear to have a common junction point (but the diagram doesn't say the location) and ORC and MIC appear to have a common junction point, and EVERYTHING on the PCI Bus appears connected some way or another.

And as a notation on an edit: there is also a "Data Link Connector" shown as part of the PCI bus with a connector at the module labeled 2 which appears to connect it to the rest of the PCI Bus, a connector labeled 16 to a fuse, and two wires (4 and 5) to a single ground.

Going back to the book I was quoting from previously, as related to the steady red, flashing red, & ABS lights, it also stated (& I failed to mention) that if the CAB was disconnected, that this would also give you the steady red & the ABS lights. Although I am pretty sure that you didn't pull the fuse or manually unhook the connector from the controller, it sure sounds like somewhere along the PCI Bus you must have some loose connectors that are losing continuity with each other and then, later on, regaining it some how.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts