Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good to see you are still in good humor about this!
Do you have one of these or know where you can borrow one? It won’t help you fix much of anything, but it could help you confirm/deny if those injectors are getting a signal from the PCM.
Yeah i should probably go get another noid light. Mine has disappeared, but heres another thing i did. I put a voltage meter on all of the wires to the injectors. Every single one is measuring all the same at 13.7 volts or something like that. I know for sure they were all measuring the exact same which is the weirdest thing because while its running or idling i assumed that i would see a sudden drop in voltage for the open and close function on the injector...... Which led me to believe it was a continuous spray from the injectors but if that were true then why the hell am i not getting fuel to those cylinders? lol I havent tested fuel pressure yet but i feel like that isnt an issue. It starts right up no issue every single time but just doesnt get fuel to 4 and 6 for some reason even though the injectors are supposedly firing. I wonder if there is a stuck valve or something but that would also be hard to believe. Really the only thing i can think of is the 5.9l PCM i got for the 5.2l just has a bad tune or something. Maybe the injector timing for 4 and 6 is off? but even then i feel like i would see or smell fuel on the spark plugs. I need to find a diagram for all of it. Its to the point where i might just post a video up and see if someone can diag it from that or give me their opinions as well. I recently moved to Foristell, Mo from Clearwater, FL so sadly i havent met any car guy or tech connections yet lol

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,585 Posts
The injectors will have 12V the entire time the motor is running.

The ECU GROUNDS to complete the circuit, so you'll see that popping !IF! - that is, IF or ONLY IF - your meter is fast enough.

Consider that you're looking at a few millisecond pulse - at 600 RPM, that's 300 pulses per minute, or 5 pulses per second, per cylinder - you won't see it on a digital multimeter, and probably won't see it on an analog.

RwP

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
460 Posts
Still got the old injectors? Might try putting those back in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Alright here is another update. Now dont skewer me for this but it was the easiest way to figure it out at the time. I cross bridged the connection from the #2 injector to #4 and #6 injectors....... Aaaaaaaaand its now running on all 8..... SO what ive figured out is either the pcm is not timing or sending signal to the 4 and 6 injectors OR my crankshaft position sensor is not the right one. I started with using the original sensor from the V6 because it cleared the new manual flywheel and the automatic sensor did not. I changed that to a sensor for a 5.9l manual and there was no change but the clearance was the same. So autozone had the option for a crank sensor for a 5.2l manual.... which i ordered a couple hours ago and will be here by 9am. That being said though, its a sensor to match the 1997 5.2l with the manual flywheel. Either that is going to fix it, which i kind of doubt, or i gotta get a tuner on this thing and see if the PCM is communicating with those injectors.... All in all an eventful day and i also put on the roll pan for the rear. Also detailed the interior a bit because its been sitting for atleast 4 years out in the sun..... Just look how good everything is though, its very surprising! Also the trans temp light is no longer on the dash.....
The best news is when i bridged those connections that motor sounded nearly perfect firing on all 8 cylinders but im sure its not good for it. I wonder if anyone knows of an external fuel injector controller? That would be pretty sweet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,585 Posts
Well, if it's anything - did you use a V8 or a V6 flywheel?

If it's the V6 flywheel, well, There's Your Problem. It's getting six cylinders worth of pulses, so not firing properly.

(And what you've done isn't working RIGHT, just KINDA SORTA.)

RwP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, if it's anything - did you use a V8 or a V6 flywheel?

If it's the V6 flywheel, well, There's Your Problem. It's getting six cylinders worth of pulses, so not firing properly.

(And what you've done isn't working RIGHT, just KINDA SORTA.)

RwP
Oh i agree, its definitely not right but its kinda working lol It just helped me narrow down where my issue is. But no the flywheel is specifically for a 5.2l v8 manual. Ill have more info later today when that sensor comes in and i slap it on.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts