Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Quick background:

I bought my 2000 Durango with a bad engine, threw a rod. I just recently replaced the engine with a good working engine from a loaner Durango. The engine was started and ran fine before it was pulled.

When I installed the engine in my Durango, it starts up fine, but the RPM's sit at about 500-700. Also, there is a loud hissing/sucking sound. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side by the firewall, but that could just be the acoustics in the engine bay.

What I've tried:
Vacuum lines all look good, everything connected, no broken hoses
Different intake manifold (my original)
Different throttle body, with IAC and everything
Changed PCV valve

All this did not change the sound one bit.

The Durango runs and drives, although with less power than it should have. I can change gears and go, but the sound is fairly loud and the RPM's seem too low. If I rev it to about 2.5k RPMs, it feels like it wants to stall once I let go, but doesn't.

What else can I check??

Thanks in advance for your help

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
500-700 RPM at idle when the motor is warm is normal.

If the sound is that loud, pop the hood and have a listen inside the engine bay. It shouldn't be too hard to track down the source. It could be a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak of some kind.

With that said, i have a K&N CAI installed with the air filter in the passenger side and have a sucking sound coming from the air filter from the air getting sucked into it, which is normal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2001 Durango had a cracked vac line which I believe came out of the passenger side firewall, tee'd, then went to the cruise control gimmick. The other side of the tee, not real sure where it goes. The lines I'm speaking of are little, like 1/8"od. Does your cruise control work? Mine didn't until I fixed the cracked line. Also the line from the valve cover to air intake(passenger side as well) was really dried out and brittle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts