Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Question regarding the 5.9L v8 that came in the 2000 Durango's. I am more familiar with the 4.7L engine series so I'm a bit confused at the moment.

I have a 4x4 2000 Durango with a bad 5.9 engine....I also have a 4x2 2000 Durango with a 5.9 engine and no transmission...I originally got the 4x2 for its tires...free is free ...

Now for the big question....

Can the 4x2 engine be swapped into the 4x4 with out any modifications? I have not been able to find a definite answer any where. The current plan is to pull the 4x2's engine, do a rebuild on it (rings, bearings, gaskets, oil and water pump) and then drop it into the 4x4...any input would be appreciated.

I should also mention the 4x2 was built approximately 2 months before the 4x4 according to the door sticker...

The reason for the rebuild is that I've no real history on the 4x2...my son is going to be moving from California to Colorado and my dad and I want to have this Durango running the best it can...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Can the 4x2 engine be swapped into the 4x4? Yes. All 5.9s are basically the same. Rebuilding an engine that is about 19 yrs old with no history is always a good idea.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the 4x2 engine be swapped into the 4x4? Yes. All 5.9s are basically the same. Rebuilding an engine that is about 19 yrs old with no history is always a good idea.

Ed
Thank you Ed. My main concern was if I needed to start scrounging for a 4x4 specific oil setup...and thank you for confirming that rebuilding the unknown engine was a good idea..was actually kinda roasted over doing so on another forum...I would rather make darn sure that it was good for a cross country trip for my kid and his girlfriend than take a chance and have the unknown motor blow middle of BFE.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "specific oil setup" I'll assume you're talking about the oil pan because the entire oiling system is internal. Yes, there are a few different oil pans used under 5.9s. Many of these are different due to differences such as 4wd or are chassis related (Such as a 5.9 in vans) However you have an engine that has the right pan. If, for some reason the 4x2 5.9 pan won't work, you simply swap the pan from the 4x4 engine, problem solved!

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, was referring to the oil pan and pickup. The 4x4 engine is toast...looks like a rod cap tore through the pan.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ewww! Well that sucks…If you happen to need a pan, and you can't find another 4x4 5.9 to grab a pan from, you should be able to use one from a Dak or Durango 4x4 with a 5.2, The 5.2s were far more common and both the 5.9 and 5.2 are based on the same block.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ewww! Well that sucks…If you happen to need a pan, and you can't find another 4x4 5.9 to grab a pan from, you should be able to use one from a Dak or Durango 4x4 with a 5.2, The 5.2s were far more common and both the 5.9 and 5.2 are based on the same block.

Ed
Got the first head off....not looking good for the original engine...look like a LOT more damage than expected. Cylinder #4 piston has disappeared....

·
Registered
725 Posts
And #6 was next! You can see where the valves have been striking the piston

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, #3 piston is rotated about 45 deg clockwise and #5 is about 45 deg counter clockwise...engine is really fubar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts