Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys i want to convert my back drum brakes to disk breaks and was wondering if anybody knew the best way to go about it? I think the 03/04 durango may have had back disk brakes (not 100% tho). If so could i just pull some off a 03/04 durango in the junk yard and install on my 2000? I have found conversion kits that are very expensive and then i will have to pay for labor and im not even sure if the kits are complete or bolt on. I really dont know any thing about the conversion and would love any input please and thanks you. Reason for conversion is im putting on some kmc stealth rims and want to clean up the look. The drum brakes area ugly as hell and even power coating the drums looks bad

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,204 Posts
The parts are not a bolt on swap. The mounting flange is in a different location between the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9t9-5.2
I assume your talking about the 03/04 swap.. how would i go about fixing this? Do i have to cut and weld the mounting flange in a different location?

·
4,204 Posts
Yes, cut and weld or swap rear end assembly's. The 04 Durango is a different generation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you think would be easier and least expensive to do? relocated the mounting flange or swap the rear end assembly? Have you done this before?

·
9,487 Posts
Can you weld? And would you bet your life on your welding skills?

The swap will be easiest overall, but you'll have to buy a rear. You'll also recoup some of that when you sell the old one. Moving the flanges will be cheapest, but you have to trust your welds.

·
Zombie Supervisor
51 Posts
i am going to be swapping the whole rear diff for rear disc brakes on my 01... i found a used unit for 145 in the yard with it complete, calipers, park brake cables, brake lines, everything.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't be doing the work.. I have a couple different shops I go to but none of them seem to be to interested in doing this conversation. I believe its because they weren't sure of how to do it or how much work would need to be put into it. But if all I need to do is swap rear ends thats not to bad. Junk yard has a 03 and sells rear end assembly for $110. I would just need to make sure its ok then get some new rotors and pads and maybe powder coat the calipers.
After the swap is made how do I go about connecting the brake lines?
I really appreciate the help guys!

·
9,487 Posts
If you're 4WD, make sure it's the same ratio as your front or else you'll snap something the second you put it in 4WD.

You'll also need a 4-wheel-disc proportioning valve from an 03, and if you have RWAL you'll either need to convert it to 4 wheel ABS or eliminate the ABS completely. RWAL won't work with rear discs.

·
Zombie Supervisor
51 Posts
If you're 4WD, make sure it's the same ratio as your front or else you'll snap something the second you put it in 4WD.

You'll also need a 4-wheel-disc proportioning valve from an 03, and if you have RWAL you'll either need to convert it to 4 wheel ABS or eliminate the ABS completely. RWAL won't work with rear discs.
why would it not work??? is there not a tone wheel in the diff??

·
9,487 Posts
The RWAL system in a <'03 is going to be calibrated to the lower pump/dump pressures required by the drum wheel cylinders, and trucks with 4wheel discs were only offered with 4 wheel ABS.

·
Gone Fishin!
203 Posts
OK, this is interesting/informative. I've been thinking about doing this for some time now.

So, Taz, let me see if I've got all this straight, so far anyway:

The rear differential assembly w/disk brakes, from an 03 Durango, will swap/bolt directly into our 98 - 02 Durango's?

And, for proper front/rear proportioning, we need to swap out the proportioning valve with the proportioning valve from the donor truck?

RWAL - Since the tone rings are the same, and the proportioning valve is correct for 4 wheel disk brakes, won't the changes be transparent to the PCM/ABS system?

You mentioned that RWAL doesn't work with 4WDB. In what way?
Do the rear brakes lock up?
Or, does the RWAL system just stop working?

You also mentioned that converting to All Wheel ABS is possibly a solution. What's all involved with converting our RWAL brake systems to AWAL?
Is it just a matter of swapping out the ABS controller, the front spindles (for the bigger disks & dual piston calipers, and ABS sensor mounting)?
Adding the wheel sensor wiring?
Change/add hard lines?

Last question: Are the front spindles from the 03 Durango's truly a direct swap/replacement for improving the braking on our older Gen-1 Durango's?

·
9,487 Posts
OK, this is interesting/informative. I've been thinking about doing this for some time now.

So, Taz, let me see if I've got all this straight, so far anyway:

The rear differential assembly w/disk brakes, from an 03 Durango, will swap/bolt directly into our 98 - 02 Durango's?
Yes. Again, if it's a 4x4, the ratio must be the same as your front.

And, for proper front/rear proportioning, we need to swap out the proportioning valve with the proportioning valve from the donor truck?
Yes.

RWAL - Since the tone rings are the same, and the proportioning valve is correct for 4 wheel disk brakes, won't the changes be transparent to the PCM/ABS system?
No, because the discs require higher pressure to operate than the RWAL pump is designed to supply.

You mentioned that RWAL doesn't work with 4WDB. In what way?
Do the rear brakes lock up?
Or, does the RWAL system just stop working?
It'll engage, but it may not provide enough force after a dump to effectively clamp the caliper back onto the wheel. It'll still stop and it'll definitely keep the wheels from locking up, but it won't work as designed.

You also mentioned that converting to All Wheel ABS is possibly a solution. What's all involved with converting our RWAL brake systems to AWAL?
Is it just a matter of swapping out the ABS controller, the front spindles (for the bigger disks & dual piston calipers, and ABS sensor mounting)?
Adding the wheel sensor wiring?
Change/add hard lines?
As odd as it's going to sound, the 4 wheel ABS on the rear disc setup still works the same way. Same wiring, same plumbing. It's technically a "3 channel" system. They didn't go to a 'true 4WABS' until the generation overhaul. But the pump and controller are different part numbers for the 03 than the 01-02.

The wiring harness should already be in place for the front sensors - it is on mine anyway.. Even though mine is RWAL, it has the plugs at the front wheels and the extra 4 pin harness at the ABS controller, you should just need to swap your hubs for the ones with the tone rings and install the sensors. You will also need to install the 4WABS hard lines in the front (or make your own).

Last question: Are the front spindles from the 03 Durango's truly a direct swap/replacement for improving the braking on our older Gen-1 Durango's?
Honestly don't know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so with the swap i will also need to modify the front end to? With the 03 spindles, hubs, dual piston calipers? I already planed on getting a new set of 4 disk rotors but didnt put much thought into the front end. I just figured that there wasnt any difference between the 2000 and 2003 front end? If i get front end disk rotors made for a 03 will they work on my 00? If not do i have to modify the front end or should i try to find front disk made for a 00 that match back disk for a 03?
Also i am going to be lowering the suspension all around. Is there anything i need to consider between the 2 jobs? Thanks

·
9,487 Posts
You don't HAVE to. The 03 front swap just gives you better braking because they're bigger brakes. If you just want to do it for the ABS, then all you need to do is swap hubs for ones for a 4WABS, because they have the tone ring. If you decide to not bother with the ABS, then just disable it and you don't have to do anything to the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i have been doing alot of reseach and have found more threads on this topic and come to find out this 03 swap will no longer fit my stock 15 inch rims.. not happy since i just got a new set of tires for them and would like to be ably to put them on for towing, long trips ect. I plan on keeping this truck forever and making it my weekend car and want to make sure i do this right but its looking like i might have to go with the expenive conversion kit.. It wouldnt be the end of the world if i did the swap and had to get rid of the stock rims but would really like the option of using them. I still dont know which way to go and im putting the truck in the body shop for paint next week and would like to know by then so i can get this done after. Becoming frustrated...

·
Gone Fishin!
203 Posts
Hey stealthballing,

In your research, were you able to verify that the 03 spindles are a direct bolt on for our 02 & older rigs? As long as we have 16" wheels or larger?

·
4,204 Posts
They are direct fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't really plan on doing much to the front besides new rotors pads and paint on calipers so didn't really look into it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts