Dakota Durango Forum banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The heat/ac defaults to the defroster if it loses vacuum. There is a check valve in the line, near the brake booster. If it fails the doors will change position as the vacuum varies.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
The heat/ac defaults to the defroster if it loses vacuum. There is a check valve in the line, near the brake booster. If it fails the doors will change position as the vacuum varies.
Thanks Dan.....I'll check that out.

Coop

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
This has me thinking some. I removed my cowl to do some custom fiberglass work to it and when I reinstalled it I left the vac tank out. To compensate I make a new tank out of a piece of 6" PVC and buried it in my console. So.... I believe in the stock system the check valve is after the tank. So I have the check valve in it's normal position near the fire wall but the tank is now after the check valve.

I take it the check in the normal position stops the air from going back into the tank to keep the line charge.... yes?

This has me a lil mind fucked at the moment.

I gota go out and look.

Coop

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
ok thanks... mt tank is after the check valve as well. I will check the direction....it may be in backwards.....sucking closed and not allowing the vac thru.

i'll keep you posted

coop

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I'm trying to shut flow off going to the defroster vents and get full flow to the dash face vents. My hosing must have gotten kinked somewhere when I did my heater core job.

When on max air I get more flow to the defroster vents than the dash face vents..... even if I temp tape the defroster off on the dash.

I've manually moved all 3 of the actuators different ways and can't find the proper combination.

Anyone done this before. I don't care about defroster or floor vents cause I don't need em....no driving in the rain or winter.

Thanks
Coop

·
Registered
118 Posts
I now have to do mine and but the pictures aren't showing. Has anyone found any short cuts to make the job easier?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now have to do mine and but the pictures aren't showing. Has anyone found any short cuts to make the job easier?
Get a Chilton manual or FSM and follow it to the letter! If done in the order the factory did it, the job is big, but not that hard if you stay organized.

If you try to wing it and just start unbolting things in random order, you are going to have a bad time.

And skipping or short cutting steps to "save time" will just make the job harder. Did my old '98 Durango's heater core about 5 years ago. Took my time, started Friday evening, was done by Sunday morning.

221 - 232 of 232 Posts