Dakota Durango Forum banner

181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
You talking about the 2 short nipples that are brazed into the core? If so...they come with the new core. As someone else said you'll still have and old core and you should replace it.

Coop
On the 02 the nipples are separate and you use the old ones.
I have changed the core. I had the oily steam windshield and replaced the core and after putting it all back together found it was leaking worse. Took it back apart and found the cracked tube. I wish the tubes were connected. Then everything would be new. Thanks. Jim

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Ahhh 02 missed that....sorry. Can't help, mines a 98.

Good luck

Coop

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
well, I jacked mine up royally trying to do my core. ended up taking the truck to Brakes Plus and had them fix it. The upside, it is now not leaking, the downside, while tearing it apart, I broke the tab on the back of HVAC control knob for the blend door. They can't put it together and get it to fully purge and bleed properly. They also had to remove my A-pillar guage pod to pull the dash properly, didn't get it hooked up quite right so now I have guages but they don't illuminate at night. They also somehow broke off the top of my oil dipstick while seperating the A/C lines, the mechanic who did the work is huge, 6'6" 260, apparently he smashed it with his elbow, jacked his elbow up also. They ordered me a new one. I have the polished covers on them, they will adjust it to work with my covers as well.

Napa shows the control knob assembly available, but alas it is not, not available in the U.S.. Called stealership, none available W. of the Mississippi, however, they show 10 available E. of the Mississippi. Dealer is calling tomorrow to see if he can get me one, $149.00 plus shipping. Autozone saved my bacon, they have one in their warehouse, $149.96 inc. tax, ordered it tonight, will be here Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to a radiator shop Monday and he said he couldn't do it but gave me a name of a welding shop. I went there and the guy charged me 10 bucks and welded it back together. I should have had him do them both so it would never break. I put he core back in the housing and will continue this never ending project this weekend. Could someone please explain the "blend door" purge? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
...I broke the tab on the back of HVAC control knob for the blend door. They can't put it together and get it to fully purge and bleed properly.
Bleed and purge the heater core? In that case then someone is feeding you a line of bull*.

There is no heater control valve on a Dak. The water flows through the core all the time with the engine running. If they can't bleed the system it is because they don't know what they are doing.

All the blend door does is direct air over the heater core, that's it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was wondering if I put it all back together and use the radiator pressure tester will that push water through to see if there is a leak? Or will I have to start the motor to circulate the water? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It won't push water through the system but it will tell you if it is leaking as it won't hold pressure. If there happens to be water where the leak is though, yes, it will leak while the pressure drops.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I brought the whole heater assem/box and put it on top of the motor, hooked up the hoses and pressurized it to 20lbs. Held for over 1/2hr. Go it back in and again checked for leaks before putting everything back again and again OK. So all is back together and seems OK. Just gotta get that antifreeze smell to go away. Thanks for all the help. Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Saga is not over yet. My Son calls and says there is steam coming out the vents. Looks like it will be jumped til spring. I am NOT a happy camper. Would left over water in the heater box cause this? Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
man i just realized my 99 durango core is leaking something bad the smoke fills my truck and i can actually taste the antifreese just orderd one from autozone 50 bucks hope this works out well my brand new windsheild is coverd in a haze of antifreeze im so pissed .thanks for this write up oh and can someone post a picture of the tool i need to remove the ac lines .thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude thanks a s load. I dont know wut i would have done without your pics combined with the haynes. Unfortunatly i am still in the middle of reassembly due to only having a half hour here n there to work on it (12 hr shifts 5a-5p) but its going pretty smooth. Once again thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed it shows that there are pics on this site to replace the heater core but I am not seeing where to pull them up and print them. Could somebody please assist? I am new to this site and would like to complete this ASAP as it is getting colder. Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed it shows that there are pics on this site to replace the heater core but I am not seeing where to pull them up and print them. Could somebody please assist? I am new to this site and would like to complete this ASAP as it is getting colder. Thank you for your assistance.
This is the site I used when I replaced my heater core. Has some pretty good pics and explanations of what is going on...

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/101003-a-how-to-on-your-heater-core-and-evaporator-core-pics-fixed.html

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
there all on the first page of this thread.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts