Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I really think it all went well. I pulled the truck in the garage yesterday about 2pm. Had it apart, heater box out, cleaned everything, put new core in, put box back, and hung the dash back to the firewall with a couple of the top screws before I stopped for the night and did all that by 8:30pm by myself. The worse part was the truck was all wet from it rain outside and got my garage floor wet so I had to kneel in it a few times. This morning I started on it about 10am and finished at 1:30pm.

Heat seems to be working great. Recharged the A/C today that all seems to be good.

If you have mechanical skills, some basic tools.. Screw drivers, metric 3/8 sockets, standard 1/4" drive sockets, a cordless drill with a 5/16 driver helps taking the box apart.. about 20 screw. and the A/C connector release tool One 1/2" and one 5/8".

As you will see in the pics I didn't drain my coolant system. I took some vise grips and clampped the heater hoses to minimize the lose of antifreeze. When done just added a little coolant and burped it to get the air out.

Now, with 95500 miles on my truck, I just hope it last and nothing major goes wrong with it.

The pictures are in order from start to finish.

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
I miss my heater SO much (I bypassed it), but that just gives me a stomach ache looking at it.
That's awesome you took pics and posted them though. If I ever work up the nerve to R&R the core, I know I'll be using these pics as a guide.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I miss my heater SO much (I bypassed it), but that just gives me a stomach ache looking at it.
That's awesome you took pics and posted them though. If I ever work up the nerve to R&R the core, I know I'll be using these pics as a guide.
It's really not bad.. I am no auto mechanic.. I am an Electrical and controls technician for the power company to be exact. I have worked on classic cars and things like that as a hobby but I think anyone that has worked on cars, has tools, and a garage could do this..

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Looks like fun haha. Wonder if there's any difference between 97'-00' and 01'-04' trucks...

How heavy was that whole thing you took out from the firewall?

·
EasyEDak3.9
788 Posts
WOW. Rep Given.

Sticky this shit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like i will be doing this soon thanks for the pics do you have to take the box out? you cant just pull the lid off and replace the heater core? lol im really not looking forward to doing this.

Yeah, you pretty much need to pull the box. There are screws all over it that must be removed once it's out on the floor. Plus, my box was kinda dirty inside so I removed everything and hosed it out. I also washed the evap core. It's really not that bad. I think I could do it now in half the time. The heat felt great on my way to work this morning..:woot:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Wow, that's a lot easier than the millions I've done on grand cherokees. I was dreading adjusting my blend door, but now I might get it done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you wouldn't happen to have any better pics of the evaporator coil would you? i need to get a pic of it so i can take with me to advanced so they can order the right one.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of it out of the box. I did remove it from the box to clean it and look it over. I remember what it looked like and looked it up on Autozone's website.

Here is the LINK

This it the exact Evap core in my 2000 with a 4.7 V8

·
Registered
299 Posts
WHY WHY WHY, dont auto manufacturers make it easier..
For instance, having a shield in the engine bay that you can unscrew and take the heater core out that way..
If the positoned the heater core on the passenger side, like all my other vehicles, this would be a no-brainer..My 02 rt is on the drivers side as well.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Did you happen to see or know or able to figure out where the door chimer is(it maybe a computer chip/board)? I need to get in there some day! I know it is right next to the glove box behind the dash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you happen to see or know or able to figure out where the door chimer is(it maybe a computer chip/board)? I need to get in there some day! I know it is right next to the glove box behind the dash.
Sorry but I did not notice it at all..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is driving me crazy, I replaced my heater core last week. I still smell anitfreeze when I turn my heat on. It doesn't steam the windows anymore but it smells some. It really doesn't heat all that well as far as I am concerned. It seems like it doesn't heat until you turn the temp knob to max. There really doesn't seem to be any fine tuning there. I cleaned the heater box when I did the core change. I flushed it with a hose. Now I am thinking I should of used some kind of detergent to wash it out. I am temped to pull the frickin' thing back apart.

Is there a heater control valve on a 2000 4.7 dakota or id the heater core always in the loop?

1 - 20 of 232 Posts