Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a 2000 Dakota with a 4.7 V8 it has 95,000 miles on it a runs well.Been keeping up with all of the general matianence on it except for fuel filter.Dealership wants alot of money for it $450 said it comes with a new fuel pump only.Has anyone else gone thru this also?Has anyone just replaced the filter with another comparable filter?Truck still runs well but seams to idle alittle rough and alittle sluggish starting off from a light and fuel mileage gone down also to 16.5 mpg compared to 18.25 before.
Thanks Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's some wording cut and pasted from my 2004 Service Manual CD.

" FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR DESCRIPTION
A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator
is used on all engines. It is located on the
top of the fuel pump module. A separate frame
mounted fuel filter is not used with any engine.
Both fuel filters (at bottom of fuel pump module
and within fuel pressure regulator) are designed for
extended service. They do not require normal scheduled
maintenance. Filters should only be replaced if
a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so. "

In other words: Wait 'til the Check Engine light comes on, and have your fuel filters replaced because it's on the list of things to change for whatever caused the light to come on.

I don't know if your 2000 is the same, but from the illustrations in my Service Manual, the fuel tank has to be removed from the vehicle for access to the filter(s).

That's why the cost is so high.

Time for some sarcasm:
Thanks, Dodge engineers, for making it so easy (and cheap) for the owner to do this kind of preventive maintenance.
Thanks, Dodge engineers, for making it unnecessary to visit the dealership service department, with their high labor costs, to perform what should be a simple, periodic maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fuel pump/filter/regulator module

Unfortunately,the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump/regulator assembly,which sits inside of the fuel tank...and is only accessible by 1)Dropping the fuel tank from under the truck,or 2)Removing the bed of the truck. either method takes a few hours,at least. I manage an auto repair shop,and my techs shudder when they have to replace a fuel stop module on any make truck.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
thats cheap. dont know what you guys are talking about. hell, the part alone at the dealer is that much. my dealer wanted close to 600-650.oo for the labor and the part. for my 1995 dak. i said fusck that, give me the aftermarket one. cost 200.oo less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts