Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, picked up a 2000 dakota club cab with a blown v6. Been researching a little bit and ecided to do a v8 swap. The truck is a 2wd with a manual trans, so it should be fun when its done. I found a 5.2 out of a 98 dakota at a local boneyard and started the swap yesterday. I don't really have any pics during the swap, but here's one with the engine sitting in its new home. just gotta figure out some wiring issues, heater hoses, and evap hookups.:woot:

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
I'm finishing up a similar project myself. I found a wrecked 99 R/T and a good body minus engine 2000 SLT V6. Most everything was pretty easy about the swap, fitment wasn't an issue at all of course. The main issue I ran into was with the O2 sensors .... the V6 body won't have a connector for your downstream O2 sensor, at least mine didn't. The 2000 V6 aparently only had 2 O2 sensors and the 99 R/T had 4. Not sure how many your 5.2 has but I assume it's the same as the 5.9. Of course, if there's no emissions tests in CT you don't have to worry about the CEL ..... unfortunately here in NC I have to make sure everything is cleared. I had to find the correct wires at the ECU and run my own wires to the downstream O2 sensor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my engine out of a 98 dakota, so it only had 2 o2's. got the ecm with the engine too. we do have emissions here in CT, to pass with an obd2 vehicle you must have no check engine light on and all of your readiness codes complete. Good luck with your project.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
I think you should be good then ...... good luck with the swap
I'm still chasing the gremlin in my O2 system .... I can't get the CEL to quit coming on. I reset it and it comes on after 50 or 60 miles or so. In NC they won't inspect it unless you've driven it about 150 since the reset. I can't make it that far without the CEL coming on. :cussing:

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
P0141, P0132, P0138. Not always the same one. Yesterday when I reset it, it was just P0141 :huh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know p0141 is an o2 heater failure. i think its the left side secondary sensor. unplug the sensor and check the resistance between the two terminals with the white wires, these are the heater wires. the sensor should have about 4-7 ohms of resistance. if it doesn't, the sensor is bad.

you can also check the connector on the engine harness by checking for voltage between the dark green/ pink wire and body ground with the key in the ON position

hope this helps. i have access to Mitchell Ondemand, but it would not let me copy and paste the steps.

p.s.
p0132 1/1 o2 sensor shorted to voltage
p0138 1/2 o2 sensor shorted to voltage
these seem like the wires may be mixed up... re-check your connections

1 - 8 of 8 Posts