Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine (see title) knocks pretty loudly when I try to accelerate while at a low power setting such as one encounters when cruising at constant speed. The truck is stock. I received a recall notice when the truck was pretty new. I took it to a dealer and they "reprogrammed" the PCM. Not sure if this would affect knocking at all. Another thread recommended replacing the timing belt tensioner, suggesting it may be the lifters that are knocking. Has anyone else had this specific problem? If so, how was it solved? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
does it sound like marbles in a can?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's see, marbles in a can? I suppose so. Any suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine knocks sometimes... not a knock like that, sounds more like a rod or something. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was fine. Doesn't sound fine to me, but hope it holds up. I have 71k on it, knocked since I bought it, but hasn't caused me any problems yet... seems to knock on hotter days, but it doesn't knock all the time, just when ever it feels like it. Just had the oil sending unit replaced because my oil pressure was all over the place... stays around normal now even when it is knocking. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
What grade gas do you run?

Sometimes when a motor is older... they start to need a higher grade fuel inorder to run great without pinging... that might be what your knocking is about. Just a thought!

Paul

·
Registered
373 Posts
i had a similiar problem in my 00 dak i took it to the dealer and they traced it down to an bad axleshaft. its being fixed as i speak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts