Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 R/T and I had it lowered about a year ago and I eventually took it off because the back was to stiff and the front was to bouncy. I know the blocks in the rear had a lot to do with the bad ride and I've been thinking about getting the hotchkis rear leafs and the front coils as well, but I'm worried that it's going to mess up the ride quality. I don't really like the stock look right now and I want to cover some wheel well space. I just don't know what to go with, the R/T 20" wheels or a lowering kit? Help!

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
2001dakotaR/T said:
I have a 2001 R/T and I had it lowered about a year ago and I eventually took it off because the back was to stiff and the front was to bouncy. I know the blocks in the rear had a lot to do with the bad ride and I've been thinking about getting the hotchkis rear leafs and the front coils as well, but I'm worried that it's going to mess up the ride quality. I don't really like the stock look right now and I want to cover some wheel well space. I just don't know what to go with, the R/T 20" wheels or a lowering kit? Help!

Well if your wanting to fill in the gap between the wheels and you don't like the stock height I would go for the lowering kit, then later on get the 20's with the viper brake upgrade!

·
Registered
69 Posts
i bought the lowering kit first and am happy with it. i have the 15" wheels and i really need to get something to make it look better. i'm with adam get the lowering kit the 20's and the viper brake kit. by the wway how much is it for the viper brake kit? this might be a good upgrade once i get my 20's with spinners!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spitz said:
i bought the lowering kit first and am happy with it. i have the 15" wheels and i really need to get something to make it look better. i'm with adam get the lowering kit the 20's and the viper brake kit. by the wway how much is it for the viper brake kit? this might be a good upgrade once i get my 20's with spinners!!!
Did you buy the whole hotchkis kit or just the leafs and front springs?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i were you I would buy the Hotchkis TVS. Suposedly dakotas handle really well with it. Ive never ridden in one myself though.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
2001dakotaR/T said:
Did you buy the whole hotchkis kit or just the leafs and front springs?
Getting the front coils, and the rear leafs is practically getting the whole set up.

The Hotchkis kit is going to give you a STIFF ride. By stiff I mean STIFF. It can give you a .93 in the lateral G, and most corvettes only get a .91. SO... if you are not wanting to give up your ride quality, this is what I would do.

1) Cut your front coils an inch. This will decrease the height by one inch, and won't kill your ride up front.
2) Get shackles or hangers... I can't remember which one makes your leafs go upward into your bed, this will lower your ride, but keep you with the same ride quality that you have right now.

Cutting your coils is a risky thing, cause you can never put it back on,... but it is relatively cheap considering all you'll need is a torch of some sort.

The Shackles and hangers will cost you a lil bit, and also cost you some good work, cause you'll need to drill out some rivits... I think 6 if I'm not mistaken... maybe 8.

This will give you the same quality ride you have now, and will lower your ride at the same time. I wouldn't spend money on getting the hotchkis if you are pretty sure you won't like the ride, because hey... you can spend a 1/4 of the price to drop it... and the rest of that money on 20's.

I hope this helps you man... if you have any other questions, just post.

Paul

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
maybe i missed something. Did he have a lowering kit on it before and he got a stiff ride and brought it back up to stock or what?

I thought his problem was the kit before was to stiff and now he wants to know how good a hotchkis kit is so he can lower it again?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam said:
maybe i missed something. Did he have a lowering kit on it before and he got a stiff ride and brought it back up to stock or what?

I thought his problem was the kit before was to stiff and now he wants to know how good a hotchkis kit is so he can lower it again?
Yeah, I used to have 2 inch belltech lowering springs in the front and 2 inch blocks in the back and I had toxic shocks on as well. The front wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either and the back was a completely different story. The blocks made the back ride like it had no suspension at all. I got so tired of it that I took it all out and put the stock suspension back on. Now after a few months I am not digging the stock height. I want to close up some of the wheel well space, but I want it to ride better than it did when I had the first kit on there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes 2001dakotar/t i only have the coils and leafs, i am in the process of getting the sway bars and the bilisteins. it rides real choppy right now without the shocks. the suspension is really tight now though, i can handle 100 times better than before. i live near a parkway (lots of twisties!) and the thing just rolls right throuhg them with no trouble at all. i can almost out handle my girlfriends celica convertible which has of course more crossmembers underneath, rear trailing amrs a strut tower bar and rear sway bar. and this is all stock! but with the rest of the tvs setup i know i can out handle her easily. sorry for the long post but i like to be informed and i'm sure you do to when contemplating this kind of money.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 3/5 drop with aftermarket upper and lower control arms and rear hangers. For people with lowered kotas what size tires do you go with , when buying 20" rims or should I just move up to the 18"?

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
RTfreak25 said:
I have 3/5 drop with aftermarket upper and lower control arms and rear hangers. For people with lowered kotas what size tires do you go with , when buying 20" rims or should I just move up to the 18"?
what kind of upper control arms you got...ive been looking but i guess not hard enough. how much were they?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I bought the truck already lowered and boy was it hell trying to find out what brand all this lowering crap was. The closest thing I could find that looked like the ones on the truck were from AIM industries. The lower arms had come from DJM and I havent a clue about what the rear is. I already replaced all the bushings up front when I bought it, mind you the truck only had 15000 miles on it at the time. It still doing good after putting another 15k on it, but boy it rides like a tank. Can anyone help me out about replacing the shocks? Is there an aftermarket style that can help out the ride with my R/T.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bilstein is the way to go. I have a 4/7 drop with djm lower controls and toxic shocks. Bad move, it rides like I am driving a go-cart. I am in the process of correcting all of my spur of the moment buys. Go with coil overs in the back if you can and bags in the front.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would get the rims first then lower it....jsut because lowering is alot cheaper than rims, id like to get the expensive stuff done first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts