Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am trying to find out how to program one of the 2 button key fobs without a panic button for my Dakota. This is a brand new Chrysler fob same as the only original that came with my truck. Mopar part # 56045191 AD. All the instructions I find online are for the fobs with panic buttons..

Thank you for any help!

Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
You cannot program the other yourself then. It says in the owners manual the only way to program a remote yourself is if you already have 2 working remotes.
You will have to have a dealer or locksmith program your new one. It is not that expensive to have done. I think it cost me like $35 when I called a around.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
You cannot program the other yourself then. It says in the owners manual the only way to program a remote yourself is if you already have 2 working remotes.
You will have to have a dealer or locksmith program your new one. It is not that expensive to have done. I think it cost me like $35 when I called a around.
No, you only need one working fob to program a new one. You're thinking of the SKIM keys. You need two working keys in order to program additional ones.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
I never heard of this. How is it done?
1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.

2. Fasten your seat belt ( fastening the seat belt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure.)

3. Place key into the ignition.

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position ( DO NOT START THE ENGINE )

5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a working remote.

6. Continue to hold the UNLOCK button, wait at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds, then press and hold PANIC button.

7. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons. The chime indicates the system is in program mode.

8. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously on the remote to be programmed.

9. A single chime will be heard. The chime indicates the the remote was recognized.

10. Within 4 seconds of hearing the chime, press and release any button on the remote being programmed.

11. A single chime will be heard The chime indicates the remote has been programmed.

12. Repeat steps 8 to 11 for a total of 4 remotes.

13. Turn the ignition to the OFF position or wait 60 seconds to exit program mode.

Now the problem here is he's right.. Nobody seems to have any idea of how to program the two-button remotes, because every Chrysler vehicle's procedure involves the panic button. I called two dealers and a company that deals in nothing but replacement fobs to see if they knew how and nobody could give me a procedure.

My guess at this point is that it needs to be cloned by a locksmith or programmed by a dealer.. Honestly I never even knew they made a fob with only two buttons, I've never seen one before. Every "peanut" fob I've ever seen has been three or four button.

However my suggestion is since he has to pay to have it done at this point no matter how you slice it, return the two button remote and buy three button ones, and have the dealer program those in instead. That way he'll be able to self-program new ones from now on.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
It's all good.. :D Like I said, you're thinking of the procedure for adding new grey-headed SKIM keys. You need to have two working keys in order to add new ones - the procedure involves inserting the first working key and turning the ignition on for 10 seconds, then inserting the second working key turning it on for 10 seconds, then inserting the blank key and turning it on for 10 seconds. You can self-program up to 8 keys this way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. The Procedure with the fob without panic button is the same. Becouse they in fact also have the panic button in the pcb, so under the case, the panic button contacts are in their place. So you must to disassamble the fob, extract the pcb, mount the pcb over the battery and then follow the procedure activating the panic contacts with any metal conductive tool like a paper clip or a screwdriver. You must to put the key in on and you must have done the driver's security belt up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts