Dakota Durango Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
rusty shackleford
18 Posts
212K on the odo. previous owner claims there's 60K on a rebuild but no paperwork... the longblock looks minty fresh, but all under hood components are very aged. No issues except for a battery drain over night which is NOT the rear windshield wiper motor :( Still draining from the interior circuit though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can I play too? Almost 262K on this 03' Dakota, which is basically a Durango with a bed. 4.7L with the 545RFE 5 speed automatic. Both engine and tranny are running flawlessly. In the past year or so, I had a rough idle but solved that with a new mopar TPS and IAC valve clean. It idles smooth and quiet now and I can't see any noticeable oil consumption.

I think the heavy duty tow package had a lot to do with the tranny lasting so long, because it has a large cooler up front. I also added a drain plug last time I pulled the pan and now I drain it every 25K.

Here is a 1998 Dakota that was sold with 623K on the clock. I would like to think it's still going today.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/stories/shatto.php

·
2000 R/T
2 Posts
2000 r/t sc

Pushing 266,000 On my motor. Only replaced wear and tear parts so far. No major drive train issues. Still scream 130mph on the highway on occasion. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
MoparMe Update

2001 Durango SLT 4x4 w/the original 4.7.

257k & rolling strong. Full front end rebuild at 252k w/all new upper/lower a-arms & bushings, inner/outer tie rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, Powerstop drilled slotted rotors w/matched pads, NAPA rack and pinion, and Monroe Reflex shocks. Approx. $950.00 (Mevotech kit + all other parts from Rock Auto) in parts and 2 full days in my garage (92 degrees) that took about 5 years off of my life!! The D looks and drives like new without a car payment!!

Other than the rack and pinion, not too bad of a job. Living outside of Memphis for the past 14 years so the truck is very clean underneath...no corrosion or rust.

Transmission Control Module went out....$35 dollars at the U-Pull It and all is back to normal.

Leaking Cam Position Sensor (repeat issue) replacement this weekend.

Very happy with my Durango......XM radio next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MoparMe Update 2

268k on the original 4.7 and trans. Front cv joints are noisy....otherwise the truck is moving towards the 300k goal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4/10 Mechanic....in my opinion :p

Just wondering....

What is the highest mileage 1st gen durango with a 5.9 without a rebuild? I know i don't hold the record obviously but some friends and I were just wanting to know just to know.

Sitting at 236,000 and purring like a kitten...

What ya got :) Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my 2002 5.9 R/T (California) had/has 313,000 miles on it......and blew a head gasket passenger side between cyl 6 and 8. Not a huge surprise, this seemed to be a weak point back in the day on the LA blocks as well. Instead of replacing the gasket and resurfacing the head, since I had so many miles on it (hard miles), I went with rebuilding the whole engine......AND since I was at it, I pulled the 46RE and had it rebuilt (and pulled the exhaust and had MagnaFlow custom build me a replacement). Here is my issue: It was Aug 2020 when I started and now its Feb 2021 and I am slowly buttoning up. However, there are parts that are just impossible to find (thanks Dodge!). The heat shield (53031043AB) in particular. Does anyone know of a source that is now making aftermarket parts for my beast...particularly the heat shield? Or do I gotta make this damn stamped aluminum heat shield myself? Cant even find a replacement engine wiring harness anymore (which would really be helpful since all of those plastic connections are cracked due to heat and age)....so sad.
Any info would help.
Thanks,
Rick

41 - 50 of 50 Posts