Dakota Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
the 360 (ok.. 5.9) in my 01 Durango just hit 230,000 a couple days ago.... still daily driven

·
Registered
13 Posts
sp youre sayin that engines from the 60s/70s aren't capable of going that far before a rebuild?
I'd much much rather have cam in block pushrod V8 than 4 timing chains scraping on plastic guides (that like to break without warning)
not to mention metal instead of all the plastic BS of todays engines... from what I have seen all this cheapening and electronic brains has done damn little for mileage to boot
Generally motors from the 50-70s where tired and ready for retirement after 80k or so miles

·
Can't see me
186 Posts
I had a 5.2 Dakota that had 235,000 on it with origional running equipment.
My cousin had a 5.7 hemi with 347,000 on all original running equipment.
I know both aren't the 5.9 but the 5.2 is pretty comparable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
214k on my 2001 SLT 4x4 w/ 4.7L. I bought it new in PA...1 year in the winter and then moved to western Tennessee. No mods other than Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors on the front (no more rotor warping) and 70+ oil changes using Castrol 10w/30. Shooting for 300k.
Bought mine in Jersey 2 yrs ago than moved to Knoxville, so I'm in east Tennessee. Got it with 182,000 and now it had 217,000. Running very strong. Clutch fan delete has been the best mod so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im at 139 something on my 4.7 2000 SLT DURANGO. It has a K and N filter, The muffler was modified to sound like a monster( I didn't do those, previous owner did) , I have replaced the radiator, fuel pump, power steering switch twice, oil pressure sender, New Cam sensor, New rear ABS sensor (need to put it in. have it sitting in my closet for months now) New driver's side window regulator, Im about to do some new speakers in about a week. I bought a new oil pump screen but it looks like a bitch to put in...soooo.....Ill let that one sit there too.

Sounds like a lot to have to do to a truck in less than a year of owning it. I got it in Feb, but the previous owner just did no maintenance on it. I think I want to go for getting a real pick up. That's what I always wanted anyway, Just not the car payment.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow guys great info :) Just did a engine block test though and it came back yellow :( Trying to decide what to do next. Head gasket or new engine.....

When the truck started acting funny I didn't drive it and still havent driven it. I only ran it for the testing. So I might give it a shot. I'm only an mid level mechanic but i've already done the heater core, timing chain/gears, plenum and had one serious catalytic converter fire. So I think i'll give it a shot :)
Can you elaborate on the Cat Fire? What happened and how? I basically have the same setup as you, and running just short of 200K, just would like to know the details of what lead up to the fire, especially since you said it was serious, although any Cat fire I would consider serious.
Also the engine block test, you say came back "yellow" was that an oil sample test? Not sure on what you mean, interested in that also, Thanks!

·
Can't see me
186 Posts
Wow guys great info :) Just did a engine block test though and it came back yellow :( Trying to decide what to do next. Head gasket or new engine.....

When the truck started acting funny I didn't drive it and still havent driven it. I only ran it for the testing. So I might give it a shot. I'm only an mid level mechanic but i've already done the heater core, timing chain/gears, plenum and had one serious catalytic converter fire. So I think i'll give it a shot :)
PLEASE PLEASE DO A WRITEUP WITH PICTURES! I am sure everyone on this forum would benefit from a how to on head gaskets or a plenum replacement. I am confisdering tackling the plenum myself but I cant find a step by step with pictures or video of how to do it...

·
Zombie Supervisor
51 Posts
my 01 has 108k with the 4.7... purrs like a kitten

·
Refuses to Sell
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Can you elaborate on the Cat Fire? What happened and how? I basically have the same setup as you, and running just short of 200K, just would like to know the details of what lead up to the fire, especially since you said it was serious, although any Cat fire I would consider serious.
Also the engine block test, you say came back "yellow" was that an oil sample test? Not sure on what you mean, interested in that also, Thanks!
I beleive that cat fire started because of a random misfire I was chasing down. Turned out to be a really loose / slapping timing chain. But anyways, We think the hunny comb broke down and fuel was running down to it from the misfire and it just went cherry red and then changed to on fire. I was actually pumping gas into the truck when I smelled the bumper melting :)

No it wasnt an engine oil sample. it was this kit I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Bloc...1193264547&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

and this fluid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combustion-...1241054769&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

·
Refuses to Sell
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
PLEASE PLEASE DO A WRITEUP WITH PICTURES! I am sure everyone on this forum would benefit from a how to on head gaskets or a plenum replacement. I am confisdering tackling the plenum myself but I cant find a step by step with pictures or video of how to do it...
Alot of people recommended that I go with a Hughes Plenum kit, which I did and havent had a problem since :) If you have the cash the better thing to do is get a Mopar M1 intake. But anyways, the Hughes kit came with very detailed instructions, including torque specifications, AND STICKERS! Heres a link

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=27091

I think if you go with the Hughes you'll find it surprisingly easy to do actually. We are more that happy with the Hughes. When I do the headgasket, Ill do a write up with pics. Just keep in mind im an ametuer enthusiast and not a pro, but I always quadrouple check everything and dont except mistakes :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I beleive that cat fire started because of a random misfire I was chasing down. Turned out to be a really loose / slapping timing chain. But anyways, We think the hunny comb broke down and fuel was running down to it from the misfire and it just went cherry red and then changed to on fire. I was actually pumping gas into the truck when I smelled the bumper melting :)
Thanks for getting back with me on this. I'm glad it worked out for you, well as best as it could have. I realized after I asked the question that the post was quite old and never really expected a response. As far as the misfire I just got through replacing my timing chain among a lot of other items, so it's good to know that all my work wasn't done in vain, Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2001 with 311k miles. Runs fantastic. And has been well cared for. Previous owner was meticulous. Burns little oil but we'll take it .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an '01 Durango 4.7 with 295k on it, daily driven. Original motor, trans. Switched to 20W-50 to help a little bit with oil consumption, works a lot better. Still pulls as hard as when it was new, I have a Superchips programmer coming in the mail this week :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
1998 Dakota with 306,000 runs good but has bearing noise in the manual transmission. 2001 Durango has121,000 and runs great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
High Mileage Update

214k on my 2001 SLT 4x4 w/ 4.7L. I bought it new in PA...1 year in the winter and then moved to western Tennessee. No mods other than Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors on the front (no more rotor warping) and 70+ oil changes using Castrol 10w/30. Shooting for 300k.
Update:
UPDATE: 235k....rolling strong. Planning full front suspension replacement. All new a-arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.... $500 dollar kit on Rock Auto. 300k in-site.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts