Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Refuses to Sell
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/10 Mechanic....in my opinion :p

Just wondering....

What is the highest mileage 1st gen durango with a 5.9 without a rebuild? I know i don't hold the record obviously but some friends and I were just wanting to know just to know.

Sitting at 236,000 and purring like a kitten...

What ya got :) Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Im at 187k and plan to rebuild this fall. Last oil sample yielded metal shavings... :(

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
my 01 has 226K on it still good oil pressure... drove it from Chicago to Houston and back about 6 weeks ago too

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 5.2 has 180k, oil changed every 3k with Castrol since 75k (when we bought it) rear main leaks, spark knocks unless I run 89, and blows some gray/black smoke when its floored. Other than that its doing just fine *knock on wood* I would like to know why it blows carbon and smells bad sometimes though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Considering these Magnum 5.2/5.9L engine tech dates back to the 70's any engine with over 200K miles is good in my book. My R/T is sitting at 152K of hard miles, trailer towing, etc. It still runs great although the body is starting to rust/rot.

Anyway, a local airport shuttle just recently had a B series van with the 5.9L for sale with 683,000kms or roughly 424K miles.

·
Refuses to Sell
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow guys great info :) Just did a engine block test though and it came back yellow :( Trying to decide what to do next. Head gasket or new engine.....

When the truck started acting funny I didn't drive it and still havent driven it. I only ran it for the testing. So I might give it a shot. I'm only an mid level mechanic but i've already done the heater core, timing chain/gears, plenum and had one serious catalytic converter fire. So I think i'll give it a shot :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
205K here. She has a minor oil leak which I assume is the rear seal. Just did new brake calipers, plugs, wires and replaced that fan blower resister so I could get all the fan speeds back. Also just did a electric fan conversion and threw on new TPS and O2 sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
214k on my 2001 SLT 4x4 w/ 4.7L. I bought it new in PA...1 year in the winter and then moved to western Tennessee. No mods other than Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors on the front (no more rotor warping) and 70+ oil changes using Castrol 10w/30. Shooting for 300k.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Considering these Magnum 5.2/5.9L engine tech dates back to the 70's any engine with over 200K miles is good in my book. My R/T is sitting at 152K of hard miles, trailer towing, etc. It still runs great although the body is starting to rust/rot.

Anyway, a local airport shuttle just recently had a B series van with the 5.9L for sale with 683,000kms or roughly 424K miles.
sp youre sayin that engines from the 60s/70s aren't capable of going that far before a rebuild?
I'd much much rather have cam in block pushrod V8 than 4 timing chains scraping on plastic guides (that like to break without warning)
not to mention metal instead of all the plastic BS of todays engines... from what I have seen all this cheapening and electronic brains has done damn little for mileage to boot

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 2000 5.9L pings with crappy gas, i can only run 87 octane if i buy gas at chevron , sunoco,race track and walmart...all other gases i have to run 89 or 92,,, carbon can come from a bad cap and rotor , wires plugs, left or right bank running rich... try changing the cheap stuff first, like cap&rotor plugs and wires, also get some seafoam fuel line cleaner from the parts store, that will help a lot,,, good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
sp youre sayin that engines from the 60s/70s aren't capable of going that far before a rebuild?
I'd much much rather have cam in block pushrod V8 than 4 timing chains scraping on plastic guides (that like to break without warning)
not to mention metal instead of all the plastic BS of todays engines... from what I have seen all this cheapening and electronic brains has done damn little for mileage to boot[/QUOte

my 73 power wagon had a 360cui (5.9L) and my oil pump went out at 227,000

and i made it off the mountain with next to NO OIL PRESSURE AT ALL, and when i tore it down the cylinder walls were scraped pretty bad, BUT ALL THE BEARINGS AND ROCKERS/VALVE SPRINGS WERE IN WORKING ORDER ! i have to agree old motors are just as good as newer ones, infact my 73 is proof...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had an 82 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 with over 250K on it, engine ran smooth, no noises, ran it hard to, offroading and beating on it. Engine was designed and built the same since the 1950's, only big difference was the change to a spin on filter instead of the crappy remote canister they used until the early 70's. It worked well enough but the spin on filters worked better. They only had three main bearingsin the straight six, lol. It was a direct copy of the old Chevy 6 of the 40's, they copied the Chevy engine from vehicles left over from the US after WW2.

·
Delivery Boy
62 Posts
201200 on my 02 4.7. I must put magic disappearing oil in it because I have no idea how I lose about a quart every 1000 or so miles. but it still runs and drives fine knock on wood. I dont haul a trailer but I run it like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my truck is sitting at 256,659 and still pushing 80+ psi oil. 3rd owner engine never touched. 98 durango 5.2 mag.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts