Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Im not a moron. I know making a strictly 2wd truck into a 4wd is time consuming, expensive, and a complete waste of time. This seems different. I have a 1st gen (2000) durango w/86000 miles and rust free. It has the differential at center console that allows you to put it in 4wd highlock and 4wd lowlock but otherwise (unlike my original 1st gen) the differential lever sits in a 2wd position. Can this be changed to the "4 auto" I believe it is called?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,440 Posts
That's not a 2WD to 4WD, that's a transfer case change.

But I have no idea; I'd grab the factory service manual and peruse that to work up an answer.

RwP

·
Registered
725 Posts
No one is calling you a moron, but your post is kinda hard to follow…. If your Durango has the ability to lock into 4wd (High or low, it doesn't matter) It's a standard 4wd truck. On pavement, you drive the truck in 2wd and you are to never use 4wd on pavement for any reason, unless theres a lot of snow, mud, sand or other off road terrain. If you want to be able to use 4wd on the road, you really need an all wheel drive truck. The only way you can do this with your Durango is find an all wheel drive t-case (These were available on some Durangos and Dakotas) and swap it out.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts