Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Granite State Performance
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. ive been looking at a 1999 R/T Club Cab..and i have some questions about the authenticity of it.

This one has some problems, but thats not what im asking about, theres a few things i thought were weird..

- First of all, can you change the mileage on these? the owner has changed the computer and the guage cluster in the past, and im not sure i believe the 80,000 miles that it says.

- Second, i noticed the truck didnt have automatic windows, or door locks, which i found weird also, is it supposed to have auto everything? i thought it should

- and finally, on the door it says "5.9 R/T"..not "Dakota 5.9 R/T"..which i also noticed pretty quick while looking at it..

these are just some things i noticed, didnt think to look up the vin or anything, so im just wondering if these are normal, or if this could be a fake R/T...

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
Hey guys. ive been looking at a 1999 R/T Club Cab..and i have some questions about the authenticity of it.

This one has some problems, but thats not what im asking about, theres a few things i thought were weird..

- First of all, can you change the mileage on these? the owner has changed the computer and the guage cluster in the past, and im not sure i believe the 80,000 miles that it says.

- Second, i noticed the truck didnt have automatic windows, or door locks, which i found weird also, is it supposed to have auto everything? i thought it should

- and finally, on the door it says "5.9 R/T"..not "Dakota 5.9 R/T"..which i also noticed pretty quick while looking at it..

these are just some things i noticed, didnt think to look up the vin or anything, so im just wondering if these are normal, or if this could be a fake R/T...
- you can change the guage cluster pretty easily.

- i believe there are some with manual door locks/windows. not sure on this though.

- lastly, if you look up the vin, it should have a Z at the end i believe. someone else can chime in on this. this will verify if it really is an R/T.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ya i beleive the 8th digit should be a "z" for it to be a r/t,also look in the glove box the tag in there should show the 3.92 gear ratio.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
There are manual window r/t's.

I thought the 6th digit in the vin will be a "Z"

EDIT: I remember now, grapejuice98 or somebody wanted the first 6 digits on the early 98 r/t's awhile back.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
If he changed the cluster I would offer him hardly anything for it. And yeah check the vin 8th digit.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Technically yes... The mileage displayed in the cluster is stored in the cluster - if the entire cluster has been replaced then the mileage displayed may not be accurate. There is also a mileage number stored in the PCM - not sure if this is accessible via a hand-held scanner, otherwise you should be able to take the vehicle to a dealership and have it scanned. If the cluster & PCM mileage figures are way off, then there might be a problem. Having a carfax report run can also help, see if any entries include higher mileage than what's currently displayed on the dash.

-
Most models came loaded, but it wasn't a requirement. Power locks, power windows, power mirrors, sliding rear glass, overhead computer, steering wheel radio controls, cruise control, and air conditioning were all optional. More often than not it's 98/99 models that are found to have the missing options.

-
If the driver's side 5.9 R/T is neatly located at the front of the driver's door, then the decals were replaced. If the 5.9 R/T is in the middle of the driver's side door, then it's possible that a previous owner simply took off the "DAKOTA" part.

-
VIN checks are the most reliable - if there's a Z for the engine code then it's an R/T.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
VIN checks are the most reliable - if there's a Z for the engine code then it's an R/T.
Z for the engine code, that's what i was thinking of.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
the only real way is like everyone is saying, check the vin. because my r/t came without decals, and my dumbass didnt do a whole lot of research, fell for th ad which said it was an r/t...then i came on here learned about th vin thing and thank god mines legit lol

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, i dont have the vin but im not really doubting the fact its an RT, really as much as it has had the mileage changed, the truck is imaculate! frame is gorgeous, minus the engine, needs a lifter!!! but, i have a month left on my other truck to drive, giving me a good month to get the truck road legal, tie up any loose ends and put it on the road.

but is it possible to plug the old computer and guage cluster in to find out the real mileage?

the truck needs work and weve already talked the kid down like $2500 from his asking price, and possibly even more considering the truck probably has over 20,000 more mileage than it claims.:huh: so thanks guys, next time i talk to him ill ask for the vin, and if i see a Z itll be a big releif:drive:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The "z" is the only way to tell. I've had a few people question mine as it came with crank window and non-powered locks. I've checked a few dakotas in town to see if they were really r/ts and one guy had OEM stickers but it failed the vin test. I've got mine debaged just so people don't know it's a 5.9.

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
idk, i would love to get the vin, although i would doubt hed freely give it to me lol..it also doesnt have rt wheels, he says he sold them when he got it because the tires were bald and he had a set of american racing wheels...so alot of stuff doesnt flow on this truck but i still want to get to the bottom of it because i think it would be a perfect base to restore to stock and then from there fix up slowly.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Tell him you're going to run a carfax before you buy. (which wouldn't be a bad idea anyways) I found out mine was used for company car right after it was made.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also the front and rear bumpers should be color matched to the body. If it hasn't been modified. Also check the doorjam sticker to make sure the vin is the same as the dash vin. The Z will be in both.

·
hobby or addiction?
899 Posts
for 2500, theres a lot of fun to be had. Buy it, enjoy it, who cares if it has 100k on it...

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
no, hes takin 2500 off the asking price, its down to $2000..ill text him and see if hes willing to send me the vin, then ill find out a lil more about it
I wouldn't buy it without the vin and a Carfax, but for $2k or less, it's looking like a great deal. Hopefully it's not a "put together" from stolen parts.

FYI: non-power optioned trucks are lighter. Lighter = faster. :)

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't buy it without the vin and a Carfax, but for $2k or less, it's looking like a great deal. Hopefully it's not a "put together" from stolen parts.

FYI: non-power optioned trucks are lighter. Lighter = faster. :)
i just texted the kid for the vin..hopefuly he gives it to me..and do carfaxs have mileage on them? if i see one from 2004 with 74,000 miles on it im going to iknow theres def not only 80 now lol.

and i thought of the lighter thing too lol :drive:

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
who cares about mileage. honestly. my dads dak r/t had 200k on it and he never had a problem. and that was all stock besides exhaust and mopar pcm and shit. so stock motor and trans and rear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts