Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Guys. I am new to this forum. I am a proud owner of a 2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7L V6 2WD and a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8 2WD (I totally respect and understand 4WD capabilities, specially for Off Road, towing, etc. situations, but personally has never need to use the 4x4 on any SUV or Pickup Truck, so I opted for the 2WD versions and love them).

The Dakota was my first Chrysler/Dodge vehicle and I love Dodge since then.

My Dakota is running great, but I need your help on this: My 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8 was running great till yesterday. I was driving it without any issues at around 50mph in the highway, when suddenly the engine shut off. Then tried to start the engine again but since then the engine cranks but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump activacting with the key in On position.

I already replaced the Crankshaft position sensor and the Ignition coil and still won't start.

However, I notice a heavy smell to gas, fuel, everytime after cranking it.

What could be causing the engine to don't start?

Note: Oil level was ok. Coolant level was ok. No overheating issues, no oil smoke, nor any other issues before it turned off while driving. It has no alarm. Only strange thing is that the odometer reads: No Bus. But it has been reading that since a lot of time and it was starting and running perfectly.

I will really appreciate any help you can provide me through this Forum in order to have the Durango starting and running again.

Thank you.

Jos

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately I had a similar issue the other day with my '03 5.9 Durango. Its been running great. I started it up to hook up a trailer. Backed it up and kept it running while I finished the trailer hook up. Got back in the vehicle while it was still running, applied the brake, put it in drive and it immediately died. Thought I may have heard a click before the engine shut off but not 100% sure. Put it back in Park and could not get the engine to start. Engine turns over fine. But it doesn't sound like it wants to catch. No misfire no anything. No codes sent. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For whats its worth I wanted to pass along that my issue ended up being the coil. Hope you got yours resolved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts