Dakota Durango Forum banner

1998 Dodge Durango brake/abs light problem

50185 Views 52 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  babygoose209
hey folks..i have a dilemma..my brake and abs warning lights come on every so often. As far as i know my brakes are fine..ive been driving like this for the past 3 months. Some days the lights will come on others, they stay off. I was thinking that the problem could be the rear speed sensor but my speedometer works fine.
Any suggestions?
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
I was in a Chrysler dealer near Milan (Italy).

The guy told me that the diagnostic tool could not find any error because there is a "log error" with the ABS control module.

A friend of mine had the same problem on his Durango and solved by replacing it with a new module.
If it's the dealer telling you that then I would assume the ABS module has failed.
Joe, maybe a coincidence. Your PCM could be toast too.
It seems it was a coincidence. I replaced the fuel pump relay under the hood and it runs fine again. But I still have no speedometer or odometer, abs and brake lights on constantly, and a new development: check engine light, with P0500 code. I'm getting more confused.
P0500 is the speed sensor.

I know you probably don't want to do it but taking it to a dealer, even if just to get the codes read for your ABS light might be to your advantage.

Regular readers can't read brake codes. Your ABS computer may have failed, all the wheel speed sensors feed into it.

If it is the ABS computer you can't just swap it. It needs to be configured for your vehicle.
I was talking to a guy the other day. My aBS light is on in my 1999 Durango. I was going to buy a replacement and put it on. He told me to just remove the ABS crap? Was this guy talking shit or can this be done?
Sure, it can be done. It won't fix the ABS light though and will probably trip a CEL.

You'll need to run some new lines and I'd probably get an adjustable proportioning valve to set the front/rear bias.
P0500 is the speed sensor.

I know you probably don't want to do it but taking it to a dealer, even if just to get the codes read for your ABS light might be to your advantage.

Regular readers can't read brake codes. Your ABS computer may have failed, all the wheel speed sensors feed into it.

If it is the ABS computer you can't just swap it. It needs to be configured for your vehicle.
Oh great. :(
your abs module can be rebuilt. it takes about a week but it only cost about 170 buck compared to a new one which can cost 2 to 3 times that. I had my abs module rebuilt at modulemaster.com
Hi again guys!

I chipped in on this thread last year and sorry to say but my D has since stood still due to unsolved problem with the abs sensor/abs+brake lamp on the dash...

Now I must get it back on the road and I have decided to go for the abs module replacement - to try this out.

My D is a 1 wheel abs with just a sensor on the rear axle and the number of my module is P52009734AD
On eBay I have found several that is the same box but different number on them and do I need to get a module with the exact same number?

Really appreciate any help! :)
It's not just the part number. It needs to be programmed for the specific application, it's a computer. The dealer can do it with a DRB.

CAB = Controller, Anti-Lock Brake

This is from the factory service manual:

NOTE: If the CAB needs to be replaced, the rear axle type and tire revolutions per mile must be programed into the new CAB. For axle type refer to Group 3 Differential and Driveline. For tire revolutions per mile refer to Group 22 Tire and Wheels. To program the CAB refer to the Chassis Diagnostic Manual.
It's not just the part number. It needs to be programmed for the specific application, it's a computer. The dealer can do it with a DRB.

CAB = Controller, Anti-Lock Brake

This is from the factory service manual:

NOTE: If the CAB needs to be replaced, the rear axle type and tire revolutions per mile must be programed into the new CAB. For axle type refer to Group 3 Differential and Driveline. For tire revolutions per mile refer to Group 22 Tire and Wheels. To program the CAB refer to the Chassis Diagnostic Manual.
Wow!
A shot in the dark for me now then...

I have just bought a replacement ABS module off of eBay that has the exactly same # as my current module.

If I'm very lucky, I hopefully get the right one.
If not I have to find a US dealer and might have to send this unit back overseas for this programming as I do not believe this can be done here in Norway.
Ok, so here's my situation now.

A year and a half ago, the abs/brake lights were on, speedo only worked at > 20 mph.
I replaced the rear wheel speed sensor in the differential housing, and everything worked.
Then the abs/brake lights started coming on intermittently, and when they were on, the speedometer intermittently wouldn't work at all. This never happened when it was cold outside.
Last week just to see if that was the problem, I changed the rear wheel speed sensor again.
Once I did that, the abs/brake lights are always on, and the speedometer has never worked since.
A couple days ago, I changed back to the sensor that I replaced last week, and it made no difference.
Plus, now, I'm getting a check engine light with P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor code.
I tested both speed sensors with an ohmmeter, and they both showed (IIRC) 1.3 ohms. I don't know if that's what they should be, but there's no wild variation between them that makes me think one is good and one is dead.

Is there anything else you guys think I should try or check before I have to sell my firstborn child to replace the ABS control module?
See less See more
Joe,

Check the harness and all connections. Was there any crud on the old sensor when you took it out? P0500 is the one on the differential.
The rear ABS sensor is the primary signal source for the speedometer/odometer at all times. The tranny speed sensor only comes into play as a backup signal source if the rear ABS sensor isn't working. The symptom of the speedo not working below about 25 mph happens because of the differences in how the two sensors work.
• The rear ABS sensor measures rear "wheel" rotation and puts out a usable signal level at even very low wheel rotation rates because the ABS controller needs to be able to "sense" wheel braking action right up to the point the vehicle stops moving.

• The tranny speed sensor (it's called an Output Shaft Speed Sensor in the FSM) measures transmission "output shaft" rotation and is used to control the upshift to overdrive and the kickdown into passing gear. It doesn't reach a "usable" signal level until vehicle speed is over about 25 mph because, below that speed, the tranny's in 1st or 2nd gear.
BTW, according to the FSM, the rear ABS sensor also functions as a "backup" for the tranny sensor if it goes bad (although when mine went out back in Oct 2003 (see Found out all about "limp-in" mode today!), the tranny still wouldn't upshift to overdrive and the passing gear kickdown was all messed up!!)

A P0500 will occur if there is no speed signal from either the differential or transmission sensors. A common point for both sensors is the CAB. I got a P0500 when I had the CAB out be repaired.
See less See more
Thanks for all the info, you guys. :)

New development, or, rather, non-development. I went to a junkyard and got another control module (they let me have it for $7, so what the hell, right?), and swapped it out. No change. The only thing that was different is that the brake/ABS lights blinked off once the first time I started the truck, just for a fraction of a second before going back to the always-on state. Still no speedo.

I suppose it's possible that the new (used) one is also bad.

It's the Kelsey Hayes 125 module shown here: http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Dodge/Durango_info.php

So back to the drawing board. I guess I'll exchange the speed sensor and replace it again, and see if that does anything.
Oh, my mistake, there was one difference. The check engine light isn't on anymore, and it's (obviously) not giving the P0500 code anymore. But I don't know if that's because of the new box or because I disconnected the battery and drained the system.
I know some people don't like hearing this but take it to a dealer and get the ABS scanned. You don't have to have them fix it but at least they should be able to pinpoint where the problem is. Otherwise, you're just chasing parts and I wouldn't want to buy a new ABS computer unless necessary.
joe cool
Have you managed to sole the problem yet?
You know I have the exact same problem as you and have done the same changes.

Changed the rear wheel sensor twice and also changed the abs control module.
My engine light is also gone now and I do not get the fault code anymore...

I live in Norway and there are no Dodge service shops around here so need to try to solve this out...

I have read on some other threads that people have changed the ABS pump.
Could this be the case?
Also heard that the replacement abs control module will need to be programmed with the VIN# and type of rear axle...4

I am totally stuck with this problem and any further help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Lars
See less See more
Any ideas anyone?

Help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lars
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.