Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article in sport truck where they were talking about the benefits of 180 thermostat but they were saying to change back to the 195 during winter if you live someplace where it gets cold.

Has anyone who has a 180 had trouble in cold weather with theres?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It will work fine but don't expect the heater to throw out hot air. You will definately feel the difference in sub-zero weather. Of course you can always cover your radiator when it's that cold.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Alex said:
That's the only reason i haven't installed mine yet, cause i average -30 celcius in the winters here...
If you live north the tiny gain isn't worth it. It's like a CAI, who needs it where we live. When I have sub-zero air going into my intake, I don't notice any dramatic changes in horsepower. Do you?

G

·
N56629 said:
If you live north the tiny gain isn't worth it. It's like a CAI, who needs it where we live. When I have sub-zero air going into my intake, I don't notice any dramatic changes in horsepower. Do you?
Now he tells me!! :rant:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in the lower elevation of colorado so I've been getting close to 100 f this summer and in the winter it might drop down to like 0 a couple of times. Somebody said the heater won't kick up hot air though. Do you mean it doesn't kick up as hot or do you mean it won't get hot at all?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Some trucks don't throw enough heat even with the right theromstat so I would say one way or the other. The only thing for sure is that it won't throw as much heat. Will it be enough? There's only one way to find out. Like I said previously, you can get around the cold weather problem by covering part or all of your grill opening. During the winter I don't even need a fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the 180 right after I got my 2002. No issues in the summer or winter. Here in New York, the temps have been in the mid 90's this summer, and the winters can run down to -5 or -10F. During the winter I run the heater on high for about ten minutes and then I have to cut it back because it gets too hot in the cab.

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
Alex said:
i would install them both for the summer, and change out the stat for the winter, we still get 25 degree celsius summers, which isnt really hot but for being in the north it is..lol
Alex i don't know what part of Ontario you live in but our summers are HOT. A round mid 30's (85F-95F) and with the Humidity it's 43C-45C (113F).

I still have the stock 195 in, as our winters are cold!!!

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
Alex said:
i would install them both for the summer, and change out the stat for the winter, we still get 25 degree celsius summers, which isnt really hot but for being in the north it is..lol
i would just leave it be. gets too cold up there for that. the ratio of days that are "hot", compared to cold....and i know it gets really cold up there, i would leave it. the factory 195 is fine fro you northern folk! :biggthump

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.