1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B

·
0 Posts
The only thing that will save Detroit is to get rid of the UAW so the Big 3 can be cost competitive again! And of course, hire some designers that know WTF they're doing.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
The only thing that will save Detroit is to get rid of the UAW so the Big 3 can be cost competitive again! And of course, hire some designers that know WTF they're doing.
That's the main part, American cars are starting to look like ass. I mean for example GenIV Dak's...

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Dodge Nitro too big??? WTF?

My folks were looking at one of those not too long ago and they made me ride and drive it and I felt suffocated.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
"America needs little fluffy cars"

Riiight.

Idiots.
But fluffy and cuddly is cool!:D

...Not.

I say as well, get some designers that know what they are doing. I too think the new Dak looks like ass. I'll keep putting along in my 95 or an older one for as long as I possibly can before I buy one of those.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
That's the main part, American cars are starting to look like ass. I mean for example GenIV Dak's...
You got it backwards. Getting rid of the UAW is the most important part.
Then cutting back all the shit the EPA can do and we could have a successful manufacturing base in America again.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The big 3 are no longer Ford, GM and Chrysler. It is Honda, Ford and Toyota. And most of the Honda and Toyota vehicles anymore are built in the US. SO are they becoming more of a domestic vehicle than an import?

Ford and Honda are fighting over the number 1 spot and Toyota is a distant 3rd as their quality has slowly been dropping as Ford has shown its quality is up to par. I think GM and Chrysler have a ways to go to get back to the top. My theory is Fiat will help Chrysler regain lost ground as long as they can get the quality up to where Ford and Honda are. GM, well that is a crap shoot. Their quality has been slipping for years. Toyota is now starting to show its slipping quality. This is where Fiat/Chrysler can slip in and get back towards the top.

B

·
0 Posts
The big 3 are no longer Ford, GM and Chrysler. It is Honda, Ford and Toyota. And most of the Honda and Toyota vehicles anymore are built in the US. SO are they becoming more of a domestic vehicle than an import?

Ford and Honda are fighting over the number 1 spot and Toyota is a distant 3rd as their quality has slowly been dropping as Ford has shown its quality is up to par. I think GM and Chrysler have a ways to go to get back to the top. My theory is Fiat will help Chrysler regain lost ground as long as they can get the quality up to where Ford and Honda are. GM, well that is a crap shoot. Their quality has been slipping for years. Toyota is now starting to show its slipping quality. This is where Fiat/Chrysler can slip in and get back towards the top.
IMHO, GM and Chrysler are done for in the US market. A lot of people are very upset that they were handed all the bailout $$$ instead of filing Chapter 11 to begin with instead waiting until they had pissed all our money away and then file! In this type of economy, people remember stuff like this.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Side note... any "honda" bought here in the USA is not availible for sale in Japan. the acura line is the honda line there.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Grand Cherokee not reliable? They must have found the ones that people didn't take care of.

This is what a well maintained Grand Cherokee can do http://www.allpar.com/old/robinson.html
I don't put too much stock in those so called "reliability" reports. I'm an Audi/VW tech and those "reports" give the Jetta a poor rating for example. I just don't see what they are talking about. Same with the Touareg. Supposedly those are very unreliable. Could have fooled me! Anyways, my point is all those bad things you read about certain vehicles aren't necessarily true. Same goes for all the good things you read. They may or may not be accurate. Toyota's are supposed to be such great vehicles. Gee, haven't seen a 7 or 8 year old Dodge, Chevy or Ford truck with the frame rotted in half lately, have you? How about 3 year old Dakota's with rust holes in the box sides? Me niether. I have seen the almightly Toyota's with holes though. I could go on for days but you get my point, I hope.

I agree, maintenance, or lack of it, is the biggest factor in "reliability". I routinely work on ten year old Audi's and VW's with 150,000-250,000 miles that have been well maintained since new, that still look, run, turn, stop, drive and smell damn near brand new yet. I've also seen a few, usually 2nd or 3rd owner cars, with fewer miles that have NOT been maintained very well and those come in needing hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of work. Meticulous maintenance is the main key to having a reliable vehicle vs an unreliable one. It's not the whole key, but a big part of it.

I don't agree with GM or Chrysler being done in the USA. The same owner of my dealer (Audi/VW and in the same building, Nissan) also owns a Chevy store across the street, Hyundai/Kia on the East side and Ford/Lincoln/Mercury up on the North side. All 4 dealerships are doing excellent in sales and service. All service dept's are working to capacity and then some and sales are selling vehicles daily. Chevy sales are as strong as ever right now and not just cars. The trucks come in and are sold in a matter of days. So, Chevy is here to stay and word through the grapevine from the Chrysler dealer is sales are good there also. Then again, this area hasn't been hit too much from the so called "sluggish economy" so my observations may not apply to other parts of the country................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts