Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, recently found a cracked cylinder in my 2001 4.7. Going to have to replace the block. All my internals are fine. I have a line on a complete 2008 engine. Will that block work with my rotating assembly, timing, Oil pump etc. ? Engine is reasonably priced, but all I want is the block, maybe cams and springs too. Anyone have any idea?

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
Don't bother taking the 08 block apart just for the block itself. Just throw the 08 in place of the 01 and run it but you will have to change the tone wheels as the 01's were all the 3 plug PCM and separate TCM JTEC while the 02 and later used the 4 plug PCM/TCM combined NGC. Everything else should connect but it's been a while and the experts on these motors are no longer around on the forum.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Like @Primus said, you have to split the block and remove the crankshafts to get to the tone wheel. While you do not need to keep the tone wheel from the 08, you do need yours.

I would just build back up the short block of the 08.
I would inspect, measure and probably replace these 3 parts with new. ( Depending on mileage and condition upon inspection.)
1. Piston Rings
2. Oil Pump.
3. Main and rod bearings.

Additionally, I would put new core/freeze plugs in the block, and the heads. They are cheap and you do not want to take the chance of a rusted one leaking later.

If you live in the rust belt, have the oil pan blasted and powder coated. On a 4wd, it will be a miserable job if you ever need to get back into it again if it starts rusting..

I cannot remember any more if the rod bolts are reusable. It has been ten years since i rebuilt mine. Some of my old posts probably answer it.

Good luck with it.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
I believe the rod bolts are not reusable but it has been a while since I remembered as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Wasn't considering doing the whole motor, but that could be an idea. Already have a new jtec timing set. I suppose the cam sensor wheels are different too, but still not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts