Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya peeps!

About a year ago, I got a deal on a Durango (one of my dream vehicles) that is an 06. Back in September/October-ish I had to replace the battery, as it was pretty old and kicked the bucket. I went with the same battery it had in it when I bought it (Interstate). Over the holidays, I took a small road trip. No problems. When I got back, my dad borrowed it to go out of town (bro was in the hospital). He was gone with it about a week. About the 4th day, he told me that the battery had died, but someone jumped him off. He said the cable was loose, but he tightened it. He got back this past Friday. My wife took it to her sisters house while I was at work, then drove it to me at work, so I could have a ride home after work. All was well.

Well . . .

Yesterday afternoon, we were going to go to the store, and the vehicle would not start. Just a rapid clicking. I got it jumped off, and went to the store, not shutting it off the entire time (about 30 minutes). About 5 hours later, I had to run to the corner store. I drove over there no problem. When I come out of the store, though, the vehicle would not start. Just a rapid clicking, again. Some nice gentlemen helped get me going, and I drove home. When I got there, I turned it off, then got curious and tried to start it again. And again, the vehicle would not start. Just a rapid clicking.

I am taking the battery by Autozone this morning. Nothing in the vehicle is left on or plugged in to the power ports.

My first question(s) is this:

1.) Do you think the alternator is bad, or just the battery? What do you think would cause this behavior?

My second question is not related to the first:

2.) Why in the heck does my vehicle regurgitate half a gallon of gas every time I fill up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interestingly enough, I had the exact same thing happen to me.
I bought an 06, had it for a couple months, then the battery started dieing on me. I replaced the battery, and it kept happening. O'Rieley's checked the alt and said it was on it's way out. I replaced the alt and battery within a week of each other.

Still, the truck was dieing when it would sit for more than 24 hours, but only after my wife drives it. I mean, completely dead. So obviously something was draining the battery. We still haven't taken it to the shop, but I have a suspicion that something is shorting out when my wife moves the seat forward. This is the only real difference between her driving and mine.

As for the gas tank spitting gas at you, that happened to me twice. Both times I had the truck running. So I no longer keep the truck on when filling up. (I know I shouldn't anyway)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome to the site Lemon Fresh.
Regarding the fuel spitting back, I think there is a TSB for this but I don't know the number off hand. You will need a new filler kneck:banana2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
In regards to the battery dieing, the key will come out when in the acc position. Also, accessory is not in the usual position, compared to a honda, for example.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in with an answer that resolved the same exact issue with my wife's BMW X3. After replacing the factory $500 battery several times and the alternator and it was still happening, and old timer looked at it and said it is your starter motor that is draining it. Changed the Starter motor and this issue never came back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts