Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Durango 4.7L V8. I recently needed to replace my fuel pump & during the holidays I didn't work on it at all. So I got a new pump & put it on & now it won't crank. I pulled the pump & checked to make sure it worked. I've blown out my fuel lines, I've checked all my fuses & relays. There is no reason for it not to start. A buddy told me to check the security board since I had not been using my FOB (but I am now) & I don't know where the security board is or what exactly I'm looking for. Can someone please help.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
153 Posts
The fuel pump has nothing to do with cranking. There are a number of interlocks that can prevent cranking -- the main one being the gear selector. You must be in Park or Neutral to crank. The shift selector might indicate Park but not actually be in Park... so start with that. Do you hear anything when you attempt to crank? A relay or solenoid clicking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its in park. I hear the fuel pump motor for about 4 seconds & the relay under the hood clicks twice as soon as I turn the key & then clicks one more time when the pump turns off.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
153 Posts
I'm not familiar with that gen Durango but if it's like most vehicles, there is a relay that powers the starter solenoid. Have someone monitor the voltage at the starter solenoid (mounted at the starter) with a voltmeter while you turn the key. That will not be the terminal with the large wire going to it --- it will be a smaller wire. If voltage appears there with key in the start position, then you have narrowed the problem to the starter itself or the solenoid. In either case the remedy is the same -- change out the starter. If voltage never appears there, then the problem could be in the starter relay, or some other interlock, including the security system, or the wiring or connectors between the relay and the solenoid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem found! The wires on the NEW fuel pump were installed wrong. So, whoever was on the assembly line in China that day messed up at least 4 fuel pumps. Delphi Technologies will be hearing from me. My Durango was down for 3 months & 5 days because they apparently don't check their products.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
153 Posts
I'm sorry, that still does not make sense. You said it wouldn't crank. Low fuel pressure (or no fuel pressure) won't stop it from cranking. So just to clarify -- when the pump was wired wrong -- did the engine crank and just not start -- or did it not crank at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 05 Durango 4.7L V8. I recently needed to replace my fuel pump & during the holidays I didn't work on it at all. So I got a new pump & put it on & now it won't crank. I pulled the pump & checked to make sure it worked. I've blown out my fuel lines, I've checked all my fuses & relays. There is no reason for it not to start. A buddy told me to check the security board since I had not been using my FOB (but I am now) & I don't know where the security board is or what exactly I'm looking for. Can someone please help.
When you say won't crank are you saying the starter won't engage? Or do you mean it turns over but won't start? I'm not familiar with the 05's. But if it won't engage the starter at all that's a whole different animal. A fuel pump will not stop it from turning over unless it has a bad roll over sensor. Doesn't make sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts