Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is stumbling at a stop and go, stop and reverse, when the A/C is on. I don't notice this when I don't have the A/C on.

There are no codes

Gas milage sucks right now, getting about 9 to 11mpg

I am not the original owner but the truck has a Cold Intate with custom exhouse installed.

I removed the exhanst manafold and it was pretty black with carbon build up - was cleaned vigoriously, still the problem exists.

MAP sensor has been replaced.

QUESTION: Could this all be coming from the fuel pump? I ask this because just the other day I was driving at 40 mph and all of a sudden, the darn thing up and stops on me, no power, nothing, I had to put on my brakes, put the hazzards on, put the darn thing back into park, turn the key off, and restart the truck again. I never had that happen to me before.

Anyway, any suggestions and or advise s greatly appreaceated. Oh ya, I am a little over 179k miles on it.

·
I hate you people.
2,829 Posts
How bad was the carbon build up in the manifolds? If it was enough to leave a noticeable coating on the exhaust ports, then you are running really rich for some reason.
I doubt the intake and exhaust have anything to do with this unless they don't have the ports for the IAT sensor in the intake and O2 sensors in the exhaust, which isn't possible.
You first need to find out if you have any codes to go off of, then that will lead you to what may be causing the problems. You can use the key on-off 3 times dance(never start it) to get the codes without having to go to an auto parts store or elsewhere with code reader to find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first when I didn't know how to remove the manafold where the flapper opens and closes when you use your accelerator, all I was able to do at that time was use a tooth bruch and manafold cleaner and clean it that way. When I did that the first time, the stumbleing did go away for a while and then it came back.

So I took to my mechanic and he and I removed the manafold off the top of the engine and cleaned both sides inside it and out and the back carbon was apparently there for forever for it looked like it was never cleaned. The manafold that bolts onto the top of the engine is now cleaned and bright and shiny again.

The large hole / tube that's also metal that goes down into the engine itself farther back, was pretty dark also, but we didn't have the length and tools to do a full cleaning of it and so we just used the cleaner and the brush the best we could.

It still stumbles when the A/C is on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I took the manafold off and cleaned the inside and back end of all of the parts and sure enough, there was enough carbon junk to choke a horse.

Anyway, no more stombling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend removed removed the manafold off the top of the engine block. He then used engine degreaser spray and tranny starter spray to clean where it could and let it air dry.

Once put back together, the truck naturally was caushing and running super rich till the left overs were burned up and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts