Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tyranny problems with my 05 dakota 4.7 4x4 . Do other vehicles have interchangeable transmission I have a ram 1500 was wondering if the transmission would work in my dakota

·
Registered
453 Posts
If your truck has an automatic trans, then you'll need a 545-RFE transmission. The tail housing is different between the 2wd and 4wd, but that can be swapped from one transmission to the other.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
As Dakotaff mentioned... any 45RFE/545RFE will work... You can find them in 3.7L/4.7L & 5.7L Dakotas, Durangos, Rams & Jeeps from 2002-2007... They are all EXACTLY the same mechanically. Your TCM/PCM makes them 45RFE/545RFE with programming.

For some reason, they used to charge less if they came from a 3.7L engine... I am not sure if they still do that or not, or if they caught on to the fact that they are all the same darn transmission.

Anyway, good luck,. .

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
453 Posts
Great info from AIR_RAM, I just want to add that the 05-11 Dakota with the 3.7 engine came with the 42RLE transmission, which won't work. I'm pretty sure any Dodge vehicle with a 3.7 engine from 2003 up came with the 42RLE.

So just verify the trans is a 45RLE if you get it from a 3.7 Jeep, Ram, Durango, Aspen, or other Chrysler vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts