Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what just arrived, so late in the evening.

Now I can have my level appearance AND save my CV axles and boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before tackling this project. It’s still -20 out (-30 with wind chill) lol

I should have this thing buttoned up this week, so far I got the 3” body lift done, pretty much all new front suspension, this week it should warm up and I’ll get the levelling kit and diff drop installed, and hopefully I’ll get the material for the grill this week.

Can’t wait to show the finished product to you guys.

Oh yeah... she hit a milestone today... gettin up there the ol girl. Still runs like it did on day 1.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really looks great, I like it.
Thanks. I love it so far.

Still too darn cold to put the levelling kit and diff drop on though. This weather has just been brutal the past few weeks.

Here’s how she looks as of today (too cold to wash )

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the weather is finally on my side. Time to get this job knocked off.

installing the leveling pucks and diff drop

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ran out of light damn it.

Well the struts and spacers are on, but looking at the diff mounts... they are in the tightest spots. Going to be fun by the looks of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I figured the diff drop would be the easy part. Hell no, it’s kicking my A**

Don’t worry it’s safe. Trust me

So... Removing the 6 diff mounting bolts was a real party. Good times. Not. At least the first 5 broke loose with ease... but just my luck, the very last bolt just had to be torqued by Superman at the factory and it was crammed obscurely in the absolute worst spot to boot. A little heat and a few extensions and a swivel did the trick. Moving on.

I Figured the rest would be a breeze. Haha... nope. This project definitely has it out for me.

Sure the diff is hanging loose now and easily maneuverable. But the instructions say that a small “lobe” of metal needs to be cut off the engine mount for the rear drop bracket to fit.

Well I’ve been working at it diligently with a grinder which I was JUST BARELY able to squeeze in between the oil pan and trans case. I scarred the oil pan slightly, there just no room to move the grinder. In fact It’s a dam* miracle that I was able to fit the darn thing in there at all. But it seems to be working. Slowly but surely I’m working away at this “lobe” of metal from hell.

Slow goin but she’s getting there.

On a side note, I’m concerned about the leveling kit. When I reinstalled the tires and let the truck down I noticed the suspension didn’t settle AT ALL. Seems way too high now and I know why... It seems the struts I received are slightly different than the OEM struts I was running. About an inch longer, and seems to have a tighter coiled spring than the old ones. I count two more coils than the OEM. So if the front end doesn’t settle down after the first test ride, I’m taking off the leveling spacers. there’s no way I’m keeping it this high, the control arms are almost touching the spring!
I hope it settles at least an inch. If not, I get to do this all over again. Fun.

Almost making contact with coil spring.

Almost as tall as the power wagon right now

Anyone reading this happen to know if these struts settle after the first drive or what?

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
285 Posts
Well I figured the diff drop would be the easy part. Hell no, it’s kicking my A**

Don’t worry it’s safe. Trust me

So... Removing the 6 diff mounting bolts was a real party. Good times. Not. At least the first 5 broke loose with ease... but just my luck, the very last bolt just had to be torqued by Superman at the factory and it was crammed obscurely in the absolute worst spot to boot. A little heat and a few extensions and a swivel did the trick. Moving on.

I Figured the rest would be a breeze. Haha... nope. This project definitely has it out for me.

Sure the diff is hanging loose now and easily maneuverable. But the instructions say that a small “lobe” of metal needs to be cut off the engine mount for the rear drop bracket to fit.

Well I’ve been working at it diligently with a grinder which I was JUST BARELY able to squeeze in between the oil pan and trans case. I scarred the oil pan slightly, there just no room to move the grinder. In fact It’s a dam* miracle that I was able to fit the darn thing in there at all. But it seems to be working. Slowly but surely I’m working away at this “lobe” of metal from hell.

Slow goin but she’s getting there.

On a side note, I’m concerned about the leveling kit. When I reinstalled the tires and let the truck down I noticed the suspension didn’t settle AT ALL. Seems way too high now and I know why... It seems the struts I received are slightly different than the OEM struts I was running. About an inch longer, and seems to have a tighter coiled spring than the old ones. I count two more coils than the OEM. So if the front end doesn’t settle down after the first test ride, I’m taking off the leveling spacers. there’s no way I’m keeping it this high, the control arms are almost touching the spring!
I hope it settles at least an inch. If not, I get to do this all over again. Fun.

Almost making contact with coil spring.

Almost as tall as the power wagon right now

Anyone reading this happen to know if these struts settle after the first drive or what?
Oof, doesn't sound like it's going to well lol. They will settle some after driving it for a day but idk how much.

Power wagon looks awesome! How much lift does it have?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That’s my buddys. It’s got a thuren suspension lift. New coils and shocks all around on it.

As for the diff drop... it’s come to a grinding halt. The holes in the brackets aren’t lining up. Always 1 bolt being 1/8” off center making it impossible to install.

I even double checked with supreme suspensions and made double sure this was THE kit for my truck because a lot the reviews complain that the kit wasn’t usable.

Well they promised it would work.

Edit...

My bad it all worked out with the diff drop. The instructions were not clear.

I just had to raise the REAR of the diff and it all lined up enough to slip the last bolts in. Took some pretty strategic pry bar action.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So this didn’t go as planned. Trucks way too high up front now and it rides like a shopping cart. Not happy with it. I didn’t expect there to be so much lift. I was expecting it to be equal with the rear. When I dropped the truck I it didn’t settle one bit. Took a ride and still nothing but harsh ride. Cv’s don’t sound happy.

The new struts being longer combined with the leveling kit caused a lift of about 3”. About 2” more than what I wanted. Way too much.

I really wasn’t expecting the new struts be longer AND have bigger/tighter coils.

Well I think this could be a learning experience for someone. Lessons learned... STAY AWAY FROM LEVELING KITS. Also learned that aftermarket struts are not the same. The new struts alone would have made the truck level.

Now it looks like I’m gonna have to dig in once again and get those pucks out of there. Fun.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I honestly didn’t understand until now how a small 1” puck of rubber can translate to 2.5-3” of extra lift.

I sat down and considered the angles and where I want them compared to where I’m at and I was surprised how much such a small difference makes in the big picture.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
SUCCESS!

I’m so happy.

I took the levelling kit off.

Truck is sitting perfectly level now. 40.5” in the back and 40” in the front. Measured to the inner fender. If I’m hauling, I’ll add air to the bags and lift it back up. Can’t believe I waited so long to do this.

So now the truck has a performance accessories 3” body lift, air bags in the back, new struts new shocks new cv axles new upper control arms and ball joints. Diff drop worked out perfectly with the increased height of the new struts. Cv axles are a lot happier at their new angles.

Rides like a dream now.

I hope this experience helps someone else doing this to their trucks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks amazing! So how'd you get the diff bracket to work out?
Thanks I just had it slightly cockeyed so lifted one side a bit and using a pry bar to finess it then the bolts slid right in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Left: new struts with leveling pucks
Right: new struts without leveling pucks

Check out the angle on the CV joint... almost level.

Left: old struts, no pucks
Right: new struts with pucks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy

Nice write up and review, your truck looks great!
The strut/spring assembly that you used and noticed a ride height increase from- which brand? It’s time to rebuild the front end on my 07 and I’d like slightly taller strut bodies if they’re out there... might save me from using pucks:)
Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks. They are just some inexpensive strutTEK struts from auto shack. They seem fine.

I’ve been watching to see if they settle and so far there’s been almost no settling, which is good because if it settled more than an inch I was going to reinstall the pucks.

But according to strut tek reviews I read that these struts use thicker coils and tend to maintain a higher than stock ride height, which is good news. The ride is comfortable too. With the pucks it rides like a shopping cart.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts