Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your real world numbers? i know some of you have one. i'm seriously considering selling the Dingo for one.

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
I believe some of them will say they only getting between 12 to 16 mpg, which I find low for having MDS. That would only happen if they have poor throttle control. :funny:
I believe that the MDS HEMI's are untapped in the fuel economy department, especially after seeing Mythbusters do a segment on hypermiling behind a big rig in a Magnum R/T and getting over 30 mpg. :jawdrop:
With that in mind, if I ever get a HEMI powered car or truck within the next year or so, then I would mod the engine with the usual bolt-ons and such and I could probably see 20 mpg average with the way I drive.
But, that's just my opinion, you will have to hear from the real owners.

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Depending on where you live, either flat land or mountains, I have seen 14 to 19 freeway MPG's. That isn't too bad for what they weigh and having aeros of a brick 6' in the air.

Brian

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Southeastern Michigan is pretty much flat for the most part. i only drive ~15 mile round trip back and forth to work and i can't hardly go 2 weeks on a tank in the D. and that's if i don't go anywhere else.

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i may just sell it and drive Amber (00 AF RC R/T) all summer. at least that does better on gas :jester: then look for a Ram in the fall.

·
R/Tless...for now
3,332 Posts
I've gotten 20 on the highway in the Hemi Durango (prob similar weight/aero), and it doesn't have MDS. I would imagine that an MDS setup would do better.

·
hobby or addiction?
899 Posts
mine is an 07 2wd qc, it gets about 14-15 in town, and 19-20 on the hwy. I also have an 03 4wd w/o mds and it has tall gears compared to my 2wd and it does alot worse on fuel. Thats why all the high elevation states get "big horn" trucks with the most significant difference being the 3.92 gear ratio.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new here, so be gentle...:D

I'm on my second Hemi Durango, and both seem to get about the same highway mileage, 20 to 22. Just got back to Central KY area from Tampa, FL and got 21.8...:beer:

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
A buddy of mine here with a 4x2 says he averages about 18 so little less for the heavy 4x4. he also said if you're getting the 4x4 get the cummings you'll get better MPG

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
what are your real world numbers? i know some of you have one. i'm seriously considering selling the Dingo for one.
I'm getting around 15, mostly around town. It'll go as high as 21 on the highway though. Keep in mind that this is a regualr cab 2wd, without the MDS hemi. I'm quite pleased with it, so far. And, dare I say it, it's a much better sport tuck starting point than the R/T is/was.

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm basically looking for sumthin that can haul cargo, extra people (if need be) and tow the R/T that has decent mileage. so i figured, for the going price/styling) ~2005 Ram 1500 should do the trick.

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
i'm basically looking for sumthin that can haul cargo, extra people (if need be) and tow the R/T that has decent mileage. so i figured, for the going price/styling) ~2005 Ram 1500 should do the trick.
I paid 9500 for mine, with 30K miles on it. Look around, there are bargains to be had out there :mullet:

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I have a 2008 QC Hemi Big Horn. My overhead console says I only get about 10.5-11mpg, almost all of that is city driving, with my daily commute under 6mi each direction. If I reset the counter on the highway I get about 17mpg at 75-80mph, but haven't taken any trips over 30mi to see how it would respond to a long haul.

·
Mike
1,683 Posts
My 06 Hemi quad cab short bed 4x4 gets anywhere from 10-23... hiway its 20-23 and around town usually 14-16.... towed a jeep grand cherrokee to Ohio and back and got 10mpg

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Mine's an 06 (MDS started in 06), quad cab 4x4 hemi.

I just got mine, so I haven't got the right 'feel' for the truck yet but:

I did take a road trip with it, over 300 miles, 90% highway...and it got 13mpg. That was with 4 guys and our crap. Right now the overhead computer says 9.9...Ouch!

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
Mine's an 06 (MDS started in 06), quad cab 4x4 hemi.

I just got mine, so I haven't got the right 'feel' for the truck yet but:

I did take a road trip with it, over 300 miles, 90% highway...and it got 13mpg. That was with 4 guys and our crap. Right now the overhead computer says 9.9...Ouch!
I think you need to do the usual tune up and fluid change soon. Also, check the tires and exhaust, you are having any misfire(s) and sluggish throttle response.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think you need to do the usual tune up and fluid change soon. Also, check the tires and exhaust, you are having any misfire(s) and sluggish throttle response.
Yeah that's the plan...it only has about 50,000 miles on her, but I'll put a set of plugs in at the very least.

Tires are brand new and at 32 in the front, and 30 in the back. Exhaust is 3" from the y-pipe back. There are no misfires and she's got plenty of power. Only 'issue' is that it needs a stepper motor in the tach.

to the OP: These trucks are notorious for front end work. The trucks with 20's seem to be even worse.

Also, the years you specified seem strange. There were changes in 06, and then again in 09. The 06 got the new bigger headlights, but kept the taillights. The interior changed (with nicer leather seats :mullet:), and the front suspension is coils, not torsion bars. There were a few minor changes in 07, they got the 'coke can' taillights, and a few other things I believe (stability control option etc.)

·
No habla jibber jabber
6,585 Posts
have an 04 qc 2500 HD with hemi so mine prob a lil lower cause of that, get 12-14 in town and around 18-20 cruising on highway according to the computer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts