Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 04 Durango lacks the nifty hood struts that the 02 Quad Cab 1500 has. Anyone out there come across custom hydraulic hood struts that can be fitted to the 04 Durango?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wish. I can't believe it doesn't have them. I'd like to use the prop rod to deliver a solid ass lashing to someone at DC for going K-Mart on this. :fight: :whip: :slap: WTF? Maybe I'll just go old school and prop it up with a 2x4 when I need to. Might as well. Grrrrr :finger: DC

On a positive side, I really do love the vehicle though. I guess if that's my one big complaint about it, I'm doing okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A little story on the search for Durango Hood Struts

Hi Rick 75!
I got a chuckle from your reply! Thanks! I'm betting that you might appreciate the following story.

My wife and I are still in a state of disbelief!

Yesterday, I stopped in at the locally new Toys 4 Trucks establishment. I had visited their store in Fremont, OH, about an hour west of here, and bought a Truxedo roll-up cover when I got my '02 Quad Cab. Pretty cool! lots of stuff! And the owner was very helpful! So, I figured the local store might be able to help me with struts for the Durango hood, and I wanted to check out the new store. I walked in, and Ma and Pa Kettle were sitting behind the counter, eating Whoppers. (The whole place reeked of Burger King, actually). I said "How ya' doin'?" and stood there for what seemed like a very uncomfortable 5 minutes in silence. Finally, the woman looked up and said "May I help You?" I said "YES!!" ( in an exasperated tone). I then proceeded to explain to them what I wanted. The gent looked up from his burger and, in short, told me to check my local dealer. I lied, and told him I had already been that route. ( I am 99% sure that if Dodge had them available, they would have been on my Durango. It has leather, a DVD player, and a Hemi for Chris' Sake!!) He said no one else had ever asked about such a thing, but they did have trouble getting pushbars and side bars for them. "It would have to be a custom fabrication".
I went on to explain that I can't believe that any woman who owned one wouldn't be looking for hood struts! I told him I doubt if my wife could even raise the hood herself! ( Not true, but what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him.) He than looked at me and said -- "Why would she want to open the hood, not to be a smart-a__"?
:jawdrop: Well, my expression was a lot like your "jawdrop" icon at that point! I said "Let me ask you something. When you fill your car with gas, do you check your oil?" He said "Nope, never!". I then said " I don't need to talk to you people!" and booked out the door, before I started saying what was REALLY on my mind. :moon: :rwhiz: :rant: What a maroon!!

I drove home in a state of disbelief, and later realized that I had overlooked my last intended stop at the local drug store, just because I was dumbfounded by how anyone could be so stupid about car maintenance, much less be the proprietor of a store that caters to people who love their trucks!!?? :stupid: (The sign should read, I AM Stupid!)

I hope you found this interesting. Needless to say, I won't be back to that store!

I had thought about writing to the main office of Toys 4 trucks and telling THEM this story, but it may actually be more effective by posting it here.

I am still looking for those struts, if anyone can help. I am wondering how the weight compares between my 02 Quad Cab 1500 hood and the 04 Durango hood. Maybe I could retrofit a set meant for the 02 onto the 04? I guess I could try weighing both hood's front end weight (unhooking the 02 struts) and compare.

Can I borrow that 2x4" :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
:drool: :confused:

So, I take it your wife wasn't in there with you when this comment was made "Why would she want to open the hood, not to be a smart-a__"? My wife would have laid waste to the entire facility, nothing but rubble and charred nerf bars in her wake. Well maybe not that bad, but close.

I can't believe people operate a business like that. The whole experience was bogus. And these are the people that will "help" someone to customize their vehicle. Outstanding. Darwin needs to step up to bat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad day at Toys 4 Trucks

No, my wife was at work at the time. I am sure she would have had something to say to the jerk, though! I called her on the way home and told her about it.

When I was gassing up the Durango today AND checking my oil (It even tells you to do that at every fill-up in the service manual!!), I noticed that the 04 Durango hood, heavy as it is, is quite a lot smaller in surface area than my 02 pickup. My guess is that the goons at DC probably HAD to put gas struts on the pickup hoods, becuase they couldn't lift it's hood when designing the truck! I'll bet it weighs quite a bit, especially with the attached grille work. Guess I'll have to try weighing it now, just out of curiousity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts