Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious why the new Durangos and Dakotas now have 5 lugged wheels when they ran 6 lugs originally. Had they ran 6 lugs and have rear disk brakes, maybe just maybe a rear disk brake swap into the 3G Daks and 1G Durangos would have been possible. Anyone know why DC did this?

Also, wouldn't 6 lugs mounting the wheels to the hub be more desirable than 5?

Lastly, I know that the Jeep Grand Cherokees run rear disk brakes. Albeit it has 5 lugs, just curious if this brake swap is possible. Has anyone ever considered it or tried it?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Well i don't know why the did it, but i never understood why they went to a six lug, on the Dak's and 5 lug on the Rams. I think that 5 lug is just fine unless it is a 1 ton truck or something like that. All the jeeps are 5 lug.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point about the Ram 1500 having 5 lugs. You would think that larger trucks would have more lugs than their smaller counterparts. I guess you won't be seeing any 20" Ram rims on a 3G Dakota and 1G Durango anytime soon, huh?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
But what was bad about the Chrysler 6 lug was the Dak/Durango/Viper were on the only vehicles on the road with that bolt pattern.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm! Viper rims on a Dak and Durango?! That might look pretty sweet if the wheel wells were big and deep enough, otherwise it'll take some serious suspension mod to accomodate those bad boys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right! Just checked out Acker Wheels and the specs on the Viper wheels are the same as the 3G Dakotas and 1G Durangos. Damn! I'd say just take the brakes, suspension and wheels from a totalled Viper, of course with some serious modification, and you got one badass ride! And better yet! Drop that V-10 in the hood while you're at it and you've built you're own SRT-10! Now that's more like it! :mullet:

http://www.ackerwheel.com/wheels/genpage.php?make=Dodge&model=Viper&year=2002

http://www.ackerwheel.com/wheels/genpage.php?make=Dodge&model=Durango&year=2002

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I forgot that the Viper was 6 lug. I bet you could use 4 front rims from a viper on a Dak. I think the rear rims would be way to wide. Ok so who's going to be the first?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viper parts into Daks/Durangos. That's what they call in the import world "hybrid", swapping parts from a high end vehicle into a lower end vehicle. You're right! 4 front Viper rims on our trucks will look awesome! But you know what? Just place the rear Viper rims on the rear as it should be and just place wider flares. I think it'll work. You'll still have one bad ride!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It's been done. A few guys on the Dak R/T forum have Viper rims. Four fronts can work. I believe the rears have been used but requires spacers. The other problem is Viper rims, aftermarket and even take-offs are very expensive. Viper brake kits are available from GS Motorsports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts