Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
gettin hearing aids by 30
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at MTX thunderform box, but at there web site they say that it will not fit a 04 club cab. i was woundering if anybody has modified the box to fit or if anybody knows if MTX will mod the box so that it will fit? :help:

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
you 2004 dakota has LATCH (kiddie seat anchor points) on the passenger side. they are the reason that the original thunderform mold won't fit without modification.

even if you just remove the anchors you still have these humps that affect the fit of the thunderform. they can be flattened or ground down.

but, i wanted to keep the LATCH anchors, so i cut up my thunderform:

the holes are sealed up for now with ducttape. sometime in the future i'll use bondo for a better seal.

lastly i saw this posted at dakotatrucks, it looks like it will fit over the LATCH. notice the wider slots and the new location for the speaker wire connection. have no further info about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What was the official mounting depth you had there one it was all installed?

I was considering the Thunderform, but it doesn't seam as if it will accept the new Kicker 10s.

G

·
I'm also looking at the thunderform and was wondering if Kenwood 10" would fit. I believe their mounting depth from the bottom of the mounting ring to the bottom of the magnet is 4 1/2".

Any thoughts?

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the thunder4500 that come loaded in the thunderform have a mounting depth of 4.616 in.

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anybody with a thunderform who could actulay measure the max possible mounting depth it wouldhelp out a lot of us.
what is your oppion about putting two jl audio 10 in the box w/ a 400/2 amp?

·
Registered
85 Posts
So how is the sound since you cut the box. I have an 04' but I'm not to keen on cutting a new box. I am also thinking of buying a Q-form, with an 8" sub, anyone have this? although my custom stereo days are behind me, I would like a little extra bass.

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
sounds ok to me and the few passengers i take along. this is my first system so i have no experience to make a comparison. reminder, the holes were "sealed" with about 3 layers of duct tape and i put more of the provided dampening cloth over that area.

·
Registered
85 Posts
dakota g33k said:
sounds ok to me and the few passengers i take along. this is my first system so i have no experience to make a comparison. reminder, the holes were "sealed" with about 3 layers of duct tape and i put more of the provided dampening cloth over that area.
Just ok? Where did you buy the box from?

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
i bought i used last year. i was waxing up the dakota one weekend and this guy approached me and told me he totalled his 2000 dak and replaced it with a cherokee. offered me $250 for the enclosure with subs. in hindsight probably not the best deal.

i rate it "ok" because i haven't much experience to know what a kickass system should sound like. with ~200 watts going into it, cranked up shakes the mirrors. have sat on the back seat, gives the cheeks a good massage :banana2: but if i step out, close the door and walk about 2 parking spaces over i barely feel/hear them even with the windows down.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
The mounting depth isn't much more than the original subs that come with it. I measured it before, and 4.75" is about the max. The only thing you also need to know is how wide the magnet on the sub is. My Adire Adire Audio Kodas are the perfect mounting depth, but the magnets were too wide. The box had to be cut and resealed a bit, but I did it perfectly as to not hurt the performance of either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.