Dakota Durango Forum banner

04 4.7l time to replace exhaust headers

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lil_Bee_R/T 
#1 ·
Hello, my truck is a 2004 4.7L, NV-4500, 4x4 club cab, original owner. I have a Magnaflow dual-out muffler as the only modification worth mentioning. Local exhaust shop did a great job with the install, with one pipe exiting behind each rear wheel.

Problem is the exhaust headers are rusted to the point where my truck won't pass State inspection. I've read about the pros and cons of performance headers, and am debating sticking with sticking with OEM headers as replacements, or upgrading. This is my gettin' around truck, not a hot rod or work truck or anything like that.

Just looking for opinions on whether sticking with OEM/stock style replacement headers are the better choice for my Home Depot/grocery getting/light hauling application, or a nice set of Gibson or JBA stainless headers with new cats hooked up to the Magnaflow just for fun while everything's apart.

Sad to say that one other "no-go" on the State inspection is a rust hole that's appeared on the inner side of the pinch weld under the driver's door. Looking further, discovered all kinds of rust on both rockers/cab corners (none of which is visible without getting underneath...), as well as rust beginning to appear in the front fenders behind the headlights. My truck is still a baby with just over 44k miles. The interior is like new. Probably looking at parking her for a while to get the rust fixed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I would go with aftermarket headers too, cuz i did. Man, those Dodge 4.7L headers are the strangest things I've ever seen. Not very typical looking. I guess they had to curl and loop them all crazy to tune them. No symmetry at all. Having them installed was ridicuousness as far as cost goes. After realizing how much room there was to do the install, I did it myself. As intimidating as the job was, it wasnt really all that bad, considering other abortions I've performed on my 2004 Dakota. The OEM ones need replacing so go for it. Otherwise u will always wish u had! Forget the chrome tips and get some side pipes too!

#4 ·
So speaking of putting headers onto your vehicle I actually had a shop do headers for my 4.7 and I used the Gibson racing headers and the Gibson dual exhaust and I never had any check engine lights or anything so I'm not 100% sure how the shop didn't I don't know if the shorties just replace the manifolds and then he left the cats on or how that worked out but I passed inspection and never had to worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.