Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4 automatic that the transmission went out of. I have a 02 Dodge Durango 4.7 automatic transmission laying around. Will it fit my 03 dakota?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depends it can be very difficult to get the right used transmission on Dodges. The best way to tell would be get a part # from the dealer for the vehicle it's going into, then find the part # on the used transmission and make sure it matches.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would say yes it will fit. They used the same auto tranny from 99 to 04 I believe. And even then they only changed the programming and electronics from that point to make it a 5 speed. The tranny itself remained practically unchanged internally. In fact a 545rfe will even work if you do the TCM swap. (Gives the 4 speed an extra gear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
340 Posts
I'd sure like to find out if that is true. Somehow I doubt the electronics can magically produce an extra gear.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
340 Posts
Wikipedia answered my question. The 4 speed and 5 speeds are NOT the same transmissions. The 545 has an extra overdrive gear. You can't simply change the controller and magically get a 5 speed from a 4 speed.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
340 Posts
I have a 03 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4 automatic that the transmission went out of. I have a 02 Dodge Durango 4.7 automatic transmission laying around. Will it fit my 03 dakota?
It appears that the answer is yes. However, you will have a 4 speed automatic where you had a 5 speed. You will need to swap the controller and there may be some wiring to work out as well, not certain if the wire harness is compatible between the two controllers.

I have the 5 speed in my '03, I had the 4 speed in my '00. I actually prefer the 4 speed, it was less anemic at highway speeds. Gas mileage suffers a bit with the 4 speed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Btw Pendleton is a spammer who just copies everything I say ignore him. If a mod sees this I think he needs a ban. Follows me and copies everything I say.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
195 Posts
Btw Pendleton is a spammer who just copies everything I say ignore him. If a mod sees this I think he needs a ban. Follows me and copies everything I say.
Yep doing it all across the site, for me too. The only difference is he underlines the punctuation 😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts