Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Dere,

I just removed my fan clutch from my 03 Dakota 3.9 V6 2wd Auto 180 stat,
and I dont see that my electric fan is kicking on. I purposely let it idle in Park,
to test it to make sure it is in fact working, so I can be on the road and know
that it is working, but I am in my garage, in Park with engine running, Temp needle reaches exactly 1/2 way or straight up, & nothing is kicking on, so I turn on my a/c wait a minute or two, still nothing, by this time Temp needle has moved just slightly more to the right, or a little hotter than 1/2 half way.

How do I test/check my electric fan switch or whatever it is I need to check??

If e-fan is working properly, shouldnt it immediately turn on when you throw the a/c on??

As of now I do not have a Temp control switch yet, but I do have a 180 stat.

Any suggestings would Shirley help!

RJS

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Does your AC clutch turn on when you switch it on from the dash? How long did you leave it on for? Sometimes e-fan will not kick on until AC high pressure reaches a certain point. If you are low on freon, it may never reach the high pressure point.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
AC fan will not go on unless at 210* or a/c is on! Thermostat doesn't matter here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a/c clutch engages no problem there...My a/c is cold so im guessing freon level is fine...When the temp needle was exactly at 1/2 way or straight up & the e-fan did not engage, I decided to turn on the a/c, so it was on not more than 3-4 minutes, but temp needle started rising towards 1 o'clock from striaght up noon, i.e. the 3-4 minutes, so I started getting concerned when no efan still, & shut it down...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you guestimate where he Temp needle position would be at 210 degrees,
that would help out a little anyway, Thanks!

RJS

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Past half, not sure exactly. Don't be afraid to test it, if it gets close to red then kill it and throw water on the motor. Try it in your driveway!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do plan on installing a Temp control switch, just dont have it yet....Also, should I remove the lower 1/2 of the Fan shroud? I have the top 1/2 off, but wasnt sure if the bottom plays any role, such as a dust barrier, etc from the bottom, Thanks for the responses!

RJS

BTW, is my Dak Pic showing up under my name? I dont see it, I must have not uploaded correctly. Thx

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
This is where my e-fan kicks on

before and after the fan clutch removal
but I installed temp control unit prior to the removal
and ac should trigger the e-fan automatically

1 - 9 of 9 Posts